Should I buy it - Jet 1224PS Lathe ?

Wait, you're not a machinist?

Sorry, couldn't resist.... We have members making taper attachments but it's an involved process. If you need one either purchase the correct unit or adapt one from another machine, farming out the job would far exceed the value of the machine.

John

Would you happen to know some few branded used lathes that always commonly have a taper attachment?

Wow really didn't expect for a taper attachment made from scratch would be really expensive.

Maybe I'll wait for a used lathe that has one included. I'm sure there's a "buy" and "wanted" section on this forum where I can purchase a used quality lathe that possibly might have a taper attachment included.

I have a taper attachment for my Seneca Falls Star and if you think change gears are a PITA wait till you start fiddling with tapers....

John

Yes, from what I saw on youtube. Fiddling with the taper looks like some extreme fine tuning. I'm going to make it electronic which shouldn't be too difficult for adjusting the taper.

Some South Bend lathes (10 and 13") came with taper attachments, some of the larger Clausings and Sheldons (13, 14" and up) did. Even then, they're not very common. If you're in a machinery desert in upstate NY you'll be waiting a long time to find a lathe with a taper attachment at the price you're willing to pay.

Okay, there is a classified section here but it may be a while before what you want is posted, near you, that has everything you want.

I wouldn't go looking for a taper attachment knowing what I do now. It's nice to have but as has been mentioned above shallow tapers (like for tapered threads) can be done by offsetting the tailstock.

I'm continuing work on my CNC mill/drill project and find the process both relaxing and challenging. That Jet would be a worthy candidate for what you propose. It's not the fast way, and might not even be the cheapest in the long run but you will learn a lot along the way.

Go check it out today and bring cash, it might not last long especially since you've posted it here.

John

I think it's a reasonable price and they're good machines. I wouldn't say no to one. You're generally not going to find a taper attachment on smaller lathes and if you do (SB Heavy 10) you'll pay at least 2 to 3x what this machine is going for. Tooling this lathe up for immediate use would cost you $150-200 for a QCTP, same again for a 4 jaw and keep your eyes open for a steady on eBay. Set of SCLCR tool holders and inserts, $30, drill chuck and dead center, $50-60. For a similarly tooled new Chinese machine of the same size and quality you're looking at ~$4000-4500.

I'm going to wait for a better deal that possibly has a taper attachment or might just buy new...

By the time you have done all of that, you now have effectively a full CNC machine. The only thing missing is a controller that can interpret the G code. Much easier to deal with than dual ELS systems.

I wouldn't say it is a full cnc but a fully automatic manual lathe for fitting work :)

Okay, there is a classified section here but it may be a while before what you want is posted, near you, that has everything you want.

I wouldn't go looking for a taper attachment knowing what I do now. It's nice to have but as has been mentioned above shallow tapers (like for tapered threads) can be done by offsetting the tailstock.

I'm continuing work on my CNC mill/drill project and find the process both relaxing and challenging. That Jet would be a worthy candidate for what you propose. It's not the fast way, and might not even be the cheapest in the long run but you will learn a lot along the way.

Go check it out today and bring cash, it might not last long especially since you've posted it here.

John

I'm really considering to get this lathe... by the fact of abling to offset the tailstock for tapering. I'm sure I can control that digitally as well.

I wouldn't say it is a full cnc but a fully automatic manual lathe for fitting work :)

Not quite a full CNC, it's missing the controller. But the controller is the key to getting full coordinated motion between the X, Z, and C axes (cross, longitudinal, and spindle). For cutting taper threads, the G code G32 will be your new friend.

There is no reason that you can't have both full CNC and full manual in the same machine. And switch between the two literally with a flip of a switch.

Not quite a full CNC, it's missing the controller. But the controller is the key to getting full coordinated motion between the X, Z, and C axes (cross, longitudinal, and spindle). For cutting taper threads, the G code G32 will be your new friend.

There is no reason that you can't have both full CNC and full manual in the same machine. And switch between the two literally with a flip of a switch.

I was assuming you meant a full CNC lathe like the ones that are housed in a RV car looking stuff.

You can learn a great deal from researching on the Internet, but without actually making chips it's all theoretical knowledge. You may find a better deal by waiting but you will loose nothing by going to look at machines, especially if they are under power and the owner is willing to demonstrate their operation.

Knowing what I know now this Jet, or something like it, would be a good candidate for starting out with. I bought my Star with very little knowledge and only $300 15 years ago. It served me well in my business for years but only recently did I actually start using it as designed and there are many things I would rather have than the taper attachment.

If you haven't contacted the seller I would do so today. It's probably already spoken for but if not I would go check it out, there are threads on here about what to look for but if it's running and the carriage moves smoothly it will probably be okay. At that price you should be able to get your money back if it's ultimately not what you need but there are many, many basic skills to master before you get to your ultimate goals and a manual lathe is the right place to start.

JMHO,

John

Back