Should I buy it - Jet 1224PS Lathe ?

Raj: Taper attachments usually are strictly mechanical devices- no hydraulics. Essentially a sliding bar arrangement that pulls the cross slide a predetermined amount as the carriage moves. They do have limitations on how steep an angle can be achieved however.
-Mark

Raj: Taper attachments usually are strictly mechanical devices- no hydraulics. Essentially a sliding bar arrangement that pulls the cross slide a predetermined amount as the carriage moves. They do have limitations on how steep an angle can be achieved however.
-Mark

Thanks for the clarification. Ill ask some local machinist to custom build one possibly if I ever do get this used lathe.

But I just learned something new today: Tapering a fitting requires the lathe to have the proper taper attachment, really interesting.

Thanks Mark!

just as a point of information, tailstock offset is usually sufficient for short tapers
a taper attachment is a luxury , not necessarily a necessity- unless you are making daily $$ from it

But I just learned something new today: Tapering a fitting requires the lathe to have the proper taper attachment, really interesting.
Thanks Mark!

But a taper attachment needs to be mechanically adjusted for different angles, somewhat like changing gears for threading, only a bit more difficult to get it set up properly.

So putting an ELS on the X axis (cross axis) and electronically gearing to the Z axis (longitudinal axis) ELS gives you the same effect and all you have to do is punch in the numbers.

That little Jet would make a good base machine to start with.

How much will it cost to get a taper attachment made by a machinist?

Wait, you're not a machinist?

Sorry, couldn't resist.... We have members making taper attachments but it's an involved process. If you need one either purchase the correct unit or adapt one from another machine, farming out the job would far exceed the value of the machine.

John

Good to know that this lathe is a good buy for its kind and price range with today's market.
I'll have to find a good set of QCTP.
That is true, I don't like that feeling when I buy something and right away there's a much better deal... no one likes that.

This would be a good starter lathe and if it's in good condition the price isn't outrageous. It could get you started making chips and once you're doing that you will have a much better idea of what you really need in a machine.

But, if you wait around it will probably be gone before you can get there. Do your negotiating in person, not over email or phone if the price is within your range and the item is what you want.

Go take a look and bring your friend Benjamin along....

John

I think it's a reasonable price and they're good machines. I wouldn't say no to one. You're generally not going to find a taper attachment on smaller lathes and if you do (SB Heavy 10) you'll pay at least 2 to 3x what this machine is going for. Tooling this lathe up for immediate use would cost you $150-200 for a QCTP, same again for a 4 jaw and keep your eyes open for a steady on eBay. Set of SCLCR tool holders and inserts, $30, drill chuck and dead center, $50-60. For a similarly tooled new Chinese machine of the same size and quality you're looking at ~$4000-4500.

But a taper attachment needs to be mechanically adjusted for different angles, somewhat like changing gears for threading, only a bit more difficult to get it set up properly.

So putting an ELS on the X axis (cross axis) and electronically gearing to the Z axis (longitudinal axis) ELS gives you the same effect and all you have to do is punch in the numbers.

That little Jet would make a good base machine to start with.

Thank you for the info, I was going to do that :)

By the time you have done all of that, you now have effectively a full CNC machine. The only thing missing is a controller that can interpret the G code. Much easier to deal with than dual ELS systems.

Back