Rockwell serial number?

Tony, get your lathe here and I can let you do the scraping in my shop, I have a 24x48' workshop. You are doing great with your mechanical rebuild, I am trying the scraping and sending the pics to someone who is experienced but not having him there is frustrating because I don't feel that I am making progress. Tim

The plan is to get there and have my own shop.:)) My current shop is 35X55 and I have it stuffed with all manner of metal, wood working and general construction tools. Not sure I'll be able to have a shop like this one after the move, but the plan is to at least have one big enough for the essentials. The thing about woodworking tools is that they take up so much space. Metal working tools are heavy, but take up less space. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the offer, though. You'll surely see my face a few times in your shop!

Got my spindle back today. I'm about ready to start putting it back together.

I just got the 2 each 603 thrust bearings in and several of the bushings that I need. I ordered the special thrust bearings for the taper attachment, they were 29.00 each plus shipping. I still have 3 bushings on order and i sent out the worm gear to see how much it would cost to be made. It will probably be a few hundred each if I only get a couple...Tim

I posted that list of bushings I bought on my thread. I didn't correlated it to the part numbers in the manual, though. I just pressed out the old bushings and ordered new ones according to the measurements of the old ones.

I screwed up on a couple of the thrust bearings, I ordered for 1/2" shaft and not 7/16" at least they will take them back....I found several more bushings that I need to replace and I have to figure out what "bearing" is in the cross slide, it looks like a steel bushing. I also need to find a worm gear, I sent mine out for an estimate on getting new ones made. I also found a good way to strip the paint off of the smaller castings, I dip them in Berrymans carb cleaner, it eats the paint right off in a couple of hours.... I am still scraping on the cross slide, I have a long way to go before it is finished. I received the Cannode blue in yellow, it helps find where I have scraped the blue away but not where I don't need to. scraping 4th pass.jpgscraping 10th pass.jpgTim

scraping 10th pass.jpg scraping 4th pass.jpg

Compound gears for the apron

I am working with a supplier and Dick Triemstra on getting a batch of new compound gears made for the apron, these are the ones that drive the apron and engage the rack. MCL-137 is the part number. Timcompound_gear[1].jpg

compound_gear[1].jpg

Last edited:
Re: Compound gears for the apron

I am working with a supplier and Dick Triemstra on getting a batch of new compound gears made for the apron, these are the ones that drive the apron and engage the rack. MCL-137 is the part number. TimView attachment 67349

Please keep us updated on this set of apron gears. I'm also very interested in obtaining a replacement set for my 11" Rockwell. Thanks ! The other Tim

What are they looking at as a ballpark price figure? I'm sure you are aware, but the smaller gear is pressed into the larger gear and held in place by set screws. The larger diameter gear doesn't seem to get much wear. It would be nice if they could produce just the smaller spur gear and supply that as a part.

I am waiting on a quote for a price break. Dick will be making the large purchase and I am just doing the leg work and finding a manufacturer. Trying to reinstall the set screw will be difficult, I think we can do just the pinion gear but the 44 tooth gear is fairly cheap and common. Tim

I am looking at an 8 week lead time for the gears, I am waiting to see if Dick is willing to go for it with me. Tim

Back