Rockwell serial number?

I just came across this thread: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/th...-leadscrew-nuts-the-easy-way?highlight=acetal that discusses making half nuts, cross slide nuts, and other useful stuff with acetol and Delrin. All indications are it is good stuff for the HSM type of folks normally using lathes such as our DRs. I think I'm going to give this a shot for my cross slide. Thought I'd post it here, since several of us, including the OP might be interested.

The most important thought I got out of it was that one could cut his own acme thread screws and not have to be concerned that they were not absolutely perfectly to depth, because he would be making a custom nut specifically for that thread...with NO backlash. However, if one were going to buy a generic acme rod for the lead screw, I would make the half nuts before having the keyway cut in the rod.

TH

I was going to buy raw screws and have the slot milled locally. The hard part is finding someone with a mill long enough to cut the slot. I will probably get all of the screws replaced eventually. I have not torn down the apron yet because I need the lathe to rebuild parts on my 6x26 mill first. Tim

Well I had a suprise package come it today, I had ordered some parts and forgot I ordered them. I now have a new to me/slightly used half nut, a 5C collet adapter and a nose piece, and lastly the way wiper I needed that was missing. The only major things I dont have for this lathe now is a carriage stop, a turret tool holder and a tool post grinder. Tim

Collet nose.jpg

I did some analysis with my thermal imager, it seems that there are some issues with the reeve drive, belts and something on the side gears. This is only preliminary but I helps in trouble shooting. Tim

Attachments

• TI000062.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 39
  • TI000061.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 16
  • TI000060.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 16
  • TI000059.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 13
  • TI000058.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 19
Did anyone take a look at the pics? What do you think? If you open them in MS picture viewer, you can enlarge them. Tim

I hate it when I have to download pics before I can see what they are. I normally pass on those. I did get a glimpse of one of the lower pulley. Cool picture.

I hate it when I have to download pics before I can see what they are. I normally pass on those. I did get a glimpse of one of the lower pulley. Cool picture.

If anyone knows how to convert to a Jpg from a bitmap, I will convert and that way they don't have to open them. Tim:whiteflag:

Back