Rockwell serial number?

Was that a Harbor Freight engine crane lift you used to load and move your lathe? I'm in the process of buying a D/R 11X36 and trying to decide how I'm going to get it on and off my trailer and into place in my shop. That lift makes it look like not too bad a job.

Incidentally, looks like I'll be moving to the Payson area just south of you next summer. Good to know there's someone else around with a similar lathe. Thanks for posting the shops and services you are using in your restoration efforts.

Was that a Harbor Freight engine crane lift you used to load and move your lathe? I'm in the process of buying a D/R 11X36 and trying to decide how I'm going to get it on and off my trailer and into place in my shop. That lift makes it look like not too bad a job.

Incidentally, looks like I'll be moving to the Payson area just south of you next summer. Good to know there's someone else around with a similar lathe. Thanks for posting the shops and services you are using in your restoration efforts.
Yes its a HF engine lift, and I am trying to arrange a scraping class in our area for those who need to improve their machine and refine what they have. I am slowly getting the tools together to get my machines into good shape.... Tim

So I ran the lathe today turning some cast iron, I found that there are some problems that concern me. The spindle got really hot and made some noises, I am not sure if it was the belts or bearings causing the heat. The spindle got so hot with the cover off that it was uncomfortable to the touch. I also had one heck of a squeal when the carriage reached a certain point, either the force to cut the material caused the belts to slip or I have some serious problems in the apron. I also have the motor wired to 110vac, it felt that the motor was not powerful enough, does the tribe think that converting to 220 would increase the torque ability for the motor?

Do I run the motor again and do a thermal image to find what is causing the heat? What belts are supposed to be used? I have dayco x48 belts with the same date code in 2010. I also need to replace the lead screw because of wear and its bent. I am going to take one thing at a time, but I am real frustrated that I may not be able to use the lathe until I get some major items identified or fixed.

Tim

I only offer this as one mans opinion, please regard as you feel best suits your situation.:))
220 is always my preference for larger equipment, they run smoother, and more efficiently. When given a chooce that is.

As for the heat situation, it may not be the case for you, but it might be worth a look, the reeves drive setup is not the best situation, the belts can be to tight in one range and too loose on the other, resulting in overheating or lose of power. Do a search here, there have been a couple of members who have eliminated the drive system for other methods... worth the search and read anyway.

Also, i have a link somewhere on gaines belts, they pointed to an article about matched belts, i think its in my phone, unfortunately its down for a couple more days...

hope there is something in here you find useful.

rich

I have been reading through the manual and came across the part about adjusting the bearings. With regard to your heat problem, I would bet that's your problem. It's a simple thing to fix, so I'd take a minute to read that part and do the adjustment. You simply loosen a set screw, rotate the locking ring, give the head a good rap with a mallot to loosen the bearings, then readjust them properly, then lock the screw back down. They should be adjusted so that when you spin the chuck by hand, you feel a slight drag. Too tight creates the heat. You can download the manuals from the Yahoo group "RockwellLathe" under their "files" section.

By the way, just this morning I won the bidding on a D/R 11X36, model 25-100. I'll pick it up next week. It looks exactly like yours on the trailer, including the missing tailstock (I've already located one). I'll be following all your posts, so keep them coming!:))

I learned 3 important things about my lathe this weekend. 1. the noise was coming from the gears on the side of the machine, not the spindle. 2. the motor is currently wired for 110V and needs to be 220 because it has a hard time starting with no load. 3. I have a lot of work ahead of me if I want to make it into a nice lathe....

I just looked at the Roton site. Will they build a lead screw to order? If so, since I need one too, maybe we should order them together. Have you priced one yet? I'm also going to need the cross slide screw and nut. How is your half nut? I'm going to need a new one.

Cross slide screw and nut here also... maybe we can get enough for a bulk order.

Rich

Back