Rockwell serial number?

offed only as a point of reference, a 1956 model 11x24
3 jaw 6" chuck
8"faceplate
no other accessories or tooling
missing compound and cross slide
a couple gears with missing teeth
price of scrap... approximately 200 dollars
i was given a compound rest and cross slide the previous owner picked up from the guynhe bought it from, turns out it is from a hardinge 1940 model 7-9" lathe... approximate value 300-700 dollars:whistle:

I just saw another 11x24 on ebay a couple of weeks back advertised as a parts lathe... price asking 750.00

my feeling it will be very hit or miss, pay the prime dollars asked by some ebay sellers or do the leg work and find a deal....

hth

rich

I have most of the attachments but the taper attachment is missing some parts and I am finding that the carriage is not riding on the bed correctly. but I still thing I have a good project for 1500.00 Tim

I know this is a bit off topic, but do you mind if I ask what you paid for your lathe? I'm looking at a Delta 11, but from the ad I don't think it has anything but a 3-jaw chuck with it. I'm wondering what folks are really paying. I have seen a couple on ebay, but the asking prices are always quite a bit higher than the settled price. My biggest concern is whether I'll ever be able to put together the accessories you got with​ your lathe.

maybe this will help also... my lathe was not advertised, i was at the mans shop discussing a south bend mill for sale, he offered the lathe for sale during our conversation. So maybe just getting yourself out there to as manyplaces and to as many people as you can will yield a good deal.
The 1500 number offered by tim does appear to be a more common and realistic asking number i have seen on ebay over the last 4-6 months. Tooling and accessories tends to vary wildly with each lathe.

rich

Well Bebop came by and looked at my Rockwell lathe and Chinese mill, we pulled the carriage and found some wear and he did a quick scraping in the middle to get the wear patterns a little more even on the V and adjusted what constitutes a gib and now 95% if the lateral movement I had is now gone. A quick visual, and he said that I got a fair deal with all of the accessories that came with it. The mill will be my first project but I need and be looking for a new lead screw for the lathe, a V-way wiper and cover and the magnifier for the taper attachment. It was impressive to watch him scrape, I can only hope to get close to his skill. Tim

So if anyone has a line on a new long lead screw, way wiper and cover and the magnifier for a taper attachment, please give me a shout. Thanks

Well Bebop came by and looked at my Rockwell lathe and Chinese mill, we pulled the carriage and found some wear and he did a quick scraping in the middle to get the wear patterns a little more even on the V and adjusted what constitutes a gib and now 95% if the lateral movement I had is now gone. A quick visual, and he said that I got a fair deal with all of the accessories that came with it. The mill will be my first project but I need and be looking for a new lead screw for the lathe, a V-way wiper and cover and the magnifier for the taper attachment. It was impressive to watch him scrape, I can only hope to get close to his skill. Tim

So if anyone has a line on a new long lead screw, way wiper and cover and the magnifier for a taper attachment, please give me a shout. Thanks
hey tim, what type of mill did ya get? It would be nice to see some pics also:))
rich

Its a Tiawanese 6x26 mill that was given to me from a friend who retired from the plant. It was cast in the late 70's to late 80's, the column is cast into the base unlike the newer mills that bolt together. I am going to do a full rebuild on it, rescrape the ways and it will need new bearings for the spindle. I may also convert it to a DC motor with a varidrive. Its a small mill but with a DRO it will be a good machine to work on small projects. I will need to take some pics soon and post them. Tim

Well I finally found a local repair shop to fix and tune up my indicators, I picked up a pair of COMAPQ .0005 test indicators to start checking my ways...if anyone wants contact info, they seem eager and willing to provide free estimates. Tim

Well I found a set of 16 each 5c collets for sale for $85. they were listed as hardinge but when I picked up, they looked asian. For 85, did I get a good deal? Tim

Well I found a set of 16 each 5c collets for sale for $85. they were listed as hardinge but when I picked up, they looked asian. For 85, did I get a good deal? Tim
was that an ebay purchase tim? i am also looking for some 5c collets for my lathes and that price sounds good to me.

rich

Back