Rescuing an abandoned Diesel 12 valve in Europe

I am surprised you had trouble finding wax in your area. There are ten companies making it it in Germany, plus the big boys Upol in PL. It's just called "Wachs" or sometimes Steinschlagschutz, similar and in the same category but could mean slightly different things.

I am surprised you had trouble finding wax in your area. There are ten companies making it it in Germany, plus the big boys Upol in PL. It's just called "Wachs" or sometimes Steinschlagschutz, similar and in the same category but could mean slightly different things.
You've been here, we don't have strong winters no salt on the roads, so rust isn't that common. We only have to deal with rusty cars when cars are imported from germany or other countries with salt, that said almost all the cars being imported now are very bad, floods and rusty. Body shops don't deal with rusty cars or they just bondo over , i've had 3 shops tell me they can fix a rusty wheel arch but no garantee. Other thing to consider is that no one except me, will spend 1/4 of his monthly paycheck on rust prevention, they just drive it till the floors fell out.

Makes sense to me. I drive old cars and keep them going for decades, it's what I've always done. Passenger vehicles don't last very long anymore. EU cars get too expensive to maintain after 300k km, and US cars were never much good after 100k mi. The Germans invented the unibody car, and also decided salt is more important for critical safety on the autobahn than the rust or environmental costs, so the cavity spray treatment was standard practice for preventive maintenance. It was a winterization preparation, just like winter tires, that people did every year or two. Now, cavity spray is mostly used by hobbyists and collectors keeping old vehicles going.

I bought a few cans of cavity spray this winter. I had to order it and pay more than I wanted to. In DE, I could go to any local hardware store and buy it off the shelf. I spent most of my life living in dry parts of the US where rust doesn't happen, but a couple of years here (2m rain/year) and I'm pulling out the big guns.

I fully agree with that, both me and my brother drive a lot, because of that we have lots of cars. My green peugeot is coming to the end of its life cycle, it's a rare car that i put together from 3 others. The engine has over 2 million Km on it, this it's its second shell, 5th manuel gearbox, coutless clutches, brakes and other conumitaves. But now is hard to find parts, because of that i bought this 406 because parts are everywhere
IMG_20230121_125505.jpgIMG_20230121_121844_1.jpg

Today i got to work on replacing the passenger rocker panel, cutting the old one was easy, i did have 2 new cut off discs explode on me one even broke my last pair of safety glasses. I put some tape on them and continue, removing the spot welds and peeling back the edges was a bit harder and very dirty, the french did not skimp on seam sealer. I clean as much of the rust i could and spray it down with anti rust acid. I did this work on jack stands but for tomorrow i put it on the ground so the body lines don't get distorted, i'll weld up the holes on the inner panel and plan to protect it from further rusting before replacing the rocker panel. If anyone is curious why i'm cutting the part where the door closes, that is best way to replace it with out worpping from welding.
IMG_20230520_112847.jpgIMG_20230520_145956.jpgIMG_20230520_150011.jpgIMG_20230520_150022.jpgIMG_20230520_150042.jpgIMG_20230520_150048.jpg

Today i continue working on this car, the anti rust acid did good job on the rust, so i cut out the rusty spots and welded on some new metal, i did also weld up the hole under the seat. Then i apply some covity wax on the inside of both front fenders, they ae know to rust on this model. After that i apply some primer on the inner rocker panel and under the seat, i also spray the new rocker panel on the inside. With some time left i mounted the drivers front fender back on the car, the other side will have to wait till i weld up the new rocker panel. This was slow and dirty work but very necessary. I'm hoping to finish work tomorrow when is still daylight so i can prep and weld the new rocker panel.
IMG_20230520_200749.jpgIMG_20230520_200800.jpgIMG_20230520_200806.jpgIMG_20230521_174510.jpgIMG_20230520_200737.jpgIMG_20230520_200725.jpg

Yesterday i wanted to get home sooner but murphy's law step in and i got home pass midnight, i just got a good night rest. Today i got home sooner and go straight to work, first prep the new panel, punch and drilled holes for plug welding. Trim and clean the edges did 3-4 dry tries, then apply some panel bond, clamp it in place and got to welding. Welded it in place, then i got my angle grinder and finger sander sanded off all the welds, then i got the cavity wax apply it in all the holes, had to drill one in the back and fullisly got to weld up but the fumes from the airsal ignited and made a big bang, thankfully my welds are strong and the rocker panel hold in place. I did grab the Co2 hose from my welder put it in the holes that extinguish the small flames that wore coming out. Now the welds need some body filler and paint, i'll buy some fiber reinforced body filler for those places.
IMG_20230524_191524.jpgIMG_20230524_191533.jpg

Good thing you didn't balloon your new rocker panel!

Good thing you didn't balloon your new rocker panel!
The way i cut the old one and welded this one it has lots of strength it won't balloon on me, it also had lots of holes to vent and my welds are strong and the addition strenth of panel bond on the overlaping edges.

Perhaps that is what's needed for the final cure of the cavity wax?!

Lovely looking work though

Last edited:
Back