Question on buying this surface grinder

Very nice! It looks like it will clean up nice, although it doesn't look bad the way it is.

The wire and breaker size is straightforward to calculate. Your spindle requires 2.7amps at FL (Full Load) and 230 volts. 14 gauge wire can handle 15 amps (actually 20, depending on temp) and 12 gauge has a 20 ampacity rating. The voltage when determining the ampacity capability of wire is irrelevant. In your case, I would run #12AWG with a 15 amp breaker. By running the 12awg wire it allows for "headroom" should you decide to do something different with that outlet. You will need a 3 wire conductor with ground so it will have a Black, White, Red, and either green or bare for ground.
Just remember that there is to be no switch between the VFD and the motor. The motor is run directly from the VFD. I have mine utilizing a soft start to slowly spin the grinding wheel up, which is a nice feature. Do not utilize any braking or you will find the grinding wheel across the shop when the nut unscrews itself.
The oiler is somewhat of a mystery to me. Mine has large oil wells with a wheel system to pull the oil onto the ways. Yours has a different system but for the same purpose. The motor is permanently lubricated according to the data plate, so nothing to do there. I use 80w-90 gear oil in mine with STP oil treatment added as a tackifier. One must remember that this is a manual machine and my arm will likely wear out before the ways do. ;)
Whenever i leave this house or move my equipment i will prob be pulling all of the electrical out for the location i move to. The wiring is going to be the toughest part for me. That and the programming of the vfd. I do want to do a slow start up. It sounds like a good way to protect the face incase a wheel decides to act up. I know whenever i started one of these up i always always looked away from the spindle.

I just commissioned a Micromaster 618 by ripping out all the electricals and putting in two VFDs. It’s not hard and gives a good result.

I think Brent was referring to a Norbide stick a few posts back . You want the boron Brent if you buy one , and they aren't cheap . Carborundum stick for the rough crap is fine .

That could be what it was called. Idk if im gonna try that stuff or not. I never used it before and cut fine when i used one.

The Norbide stick is for dressing radii on the wheel without a diamond radius dresser . If I find any , I'll give you a shout . My grinder is gone .

Oh so you use a Norbide stick to create a radius by hand? Boy i would probably suck at that lol

If only i had some phenolic on hand. Don’t worry in a day or so i will be asking about the wheels i got with the grinder and what is good for/with what.

Know me i would prob just do it by hand like dave said then shut the grinder down and check the radius on the stone. It may not be ideal but for stuff i would be doing it would be plenty accurate until i acquired a dresser.

Back