Question on buying this surface grinder

I put a Teco VFD on my surface grinder. I didn't mess with the machine's electrics as I just wired the motor direct to the VFD and used the panel controls to run it. Couldn't have been more simple.

What else could you do with a surface grinder. I know of things you can do with them but bc i am trying to get her to let me buy it i am drawing a blank on it all. I said sharpen cutters in like 3-4 different ways and im like yup this is helping

This is where I got my SPC, quite happy with it.

I've heard it claimed that, because the motor is only powered on 2 of the 3 legs when using an SPC, it can affect finish of the grind. Of course, I've also heard that claim for lathes, but I'never noticed it.

I would agree with the fear of surface finish affect if going static. Surface grinders are capable of finishing within .0001 and i find I use mine much more than I would have thought. I mainly like neat machines and buy what I like without a need but the grinder with a good mag plate allows for fine tuning vs milling which in my world is more like a .001 precision. Dave

Woohoo! Way to go :)

Now to find projects for it. I know it is sometimes a very niche machine. I will need a vfd though. I will get the motor info and more tmr.

What HP VFD ?

I will be getting a motor size later today. I have the delivery partially set up. I have to talk with my neighbor with unloading.

Back