Question on buying this surface grinder

This is where I got my SPC, quite happy with it.

I've heard it claimed that, because the motor is only powered on 2 of the 3 legs when using an SPC, it can affect finish of the grind. Of course, I've also heard that claim for lathes, but I'never noticed it.
I would agree. My surface grinder came from the factory with a single phase motor and it's worked fine since 1954. The spindle is belt driven rather than direct drive.

This is the motor for the grinder.

Attachments

• B50E26A4-02BC-4F47-826E-4892B1503760.png
    B50E26A4-02BC-4F47-826E-4892B1503760.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
This is the motor for the grinder.
That looks exactly like the motor plate on my Parker Majestic. For what it's worth I ran it off a 120v 15A outlet with a 120v -->240v VFD.

I am fine with running 220 or 240 but bc i cant do 3 phase. I just need help on finding a vfd to use.

I am fine with running 220 or 240 but bc i cant do 3 phase. I just need help on finding a vfd to use.
I've had excellent luck with Teco, but have also heard good things about Hitatchi, Durapulse, ABB.

Hey Brento.
I have a Bridgeport 815 surface grinder which I run off of 220 single phase. I purchased this VFD from Amazon however, it is a rather el-cheapo one. Mark (@mksj ) has some excellent recommendations for you.
The power requirements for a surface grinder are very low. The largest draw is during startup of course. When I am doing any grinding, the amp readout is a fraction of the motor rating. It has been a long time since I looked at it but I want to say that I saw something on the order of 2.0amps when running. I feel that the SG manufacturers put a 1hp grinder on these small ones because that was what was available.
I should also mention that having a VFD programmed for a soft start on the SG is really nice, just don't program a brake into it because that would not end well.

Well idk how to do any of that stuff @7milesup it will be new for me and i may have someone on here talk me through it step by step. I will be running my own electric. I am fine running 220. It doesnt need to be 110. I just need something to convert from 3 phase to single phase. @mksj

I just need something to convert from 3 phase to single phase
I believe that may be the other way around ;)

Let us know when you are ready, there is a ton of knowledge on here.

Anyone with grinder experience can you tell me what type of dressing sticks i will need? I have quite a few diamonds but supposedly that is just for trueing a wheel and i need dressing sticks to dress a wheel after. This grind is coming with a Norton Brake Controller truing device.

Back