Question on buying this surface grinder

What vfd do you use? I just bought a Teco for 185 last night im not 100% sure if it has the slow start up or not
Yes, it will have a soft start option to program.
I purchased a Lapond for my new mill. It is not a mainstream brand but seems like it has all the bells and whistles that I will need, although I am considering a TECO instead.
Here is the one I bought from Amazon.

Last edited:
This is what i did with my day. My hands are all orange and hurt from scrubbing. The side by all of the electrical i will clean when i take all of that off. Now does anyone know if it is common for these things to have a converter on it from factory? The box on the bottom right has 3 wires coming from it and going into the fuse panel in the middle. One ground and two other wires that wire to 2 different legs. But the weird thing is the power supply is hooked up to them as well. Would you think there would be 6 wires going to that box if it was a converter? 3 for the feed and 3 for the return. I can get a picture but at this point most of it wont matter anyways.

Attachments

• 400BDE21-F892-49C1-9326-8B6459EA2ED4.jpeg
    400BDE21-F892-49C1-9326-8B6459EA2ED4.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 6EFD78F3-1F42-47BF-90F7-40760F85A900.jpeg
    6EFD78F3-1F42-47BF-90F7-40760F85A900.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 7FE77391-EAE8-4DBD-A99A-66A36523C6D2.jpeg
    7FE77391-EAE8-4DBD-A99A-66A36523C6D2.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 19
  • F485C17E-5AB3-4AE9-AAEE-E444DE8ABC7D.jpeg
    F485C17E-5AB3-4AE9-AAEE-E444DE8ABC7D.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 956A9BB7-502D-4721-BB14-53794C0C9A66.jpeg
    956A9BB7-502D-4721-BB14-53794C0C9A66.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 16
The box on the left looks like a breaker. The box in the middle is just an on/off switch by the looks of it. Like you said, it won't matter once you utilize the VFD.

If you have not already watched these videos, I recommend doing so. I found them rather informative.
These are from "That Lazy Machinist"

The next two are from Suburban Tool.

The box on the left looks like a breaker. The box in the middle is just an on/off switch by the looks of it. Like you said, it won't matter once you utilize the VFD.
Box on the left is the in off switch. The middle panel is a fuse box that has the old barrel fuses in it and the box on the bottom right was what i was talking about. I have used a surface grinder before but ill check them out just bc it is nice to see what people suggest

I will be dry grinding but some day in the future i think im going to set up a coolant version. I want to make my own precision flat stones but that will have to wait for quite a while. I do need a new diamond wheel though bc the two i did get with it are clapped out I believe. I will probably make a post soon about all of the wheels i got. Bc that is where i dont know anything

The box on the bottom rear corner looks like an older Phase a Matic static phase converter. The plug looks like it's a single phase 220 volt.

What would happen if you ran 3 phase on a single phase. And what would happen if you ran single phase on 3 phase

Anyone with grinder experience can you tell me what type of dressing sticks i will need? I have quite a few diamonds but supposedly that is just for trueing a wheel and i need dressing sticks to dress a wheel after. This grind is coming with a Norton Brake Controller truing device.
If you're just getting into grinding, I would recommend the book "Grinding Technology" by S.F. Krar & J.W. Oswald. I have the oldest edition printed in 1974. It covers several types of grinding including surface grinding, cylindrical grinding, centerless grinding and tool and cutter grinding among others. Chapter 17 concentrates on trueing and dressing wheels. There are other chapters discussing wheel selection, mounting, and balancing.

I purchased mine about 10 years ago on eBay for less than $15.00. There is currently one listed, but the asking price is outrageous. They do pop up from time to time at online used bookstores in the $10.00 to $20.00 range. There are several newer versions by the same author, but I;'m not sure they cover the same subjects.

If you're just getting into grinding, I would recommend the book "Grinding Technology" by S.F. Krar & J.W. Oswald. I have the oldest edition printed in 1974. It covers several types of grinding including surface grinding, cylindrical grinding, centerless grinding and tool and cutter grinding among others. Chapter 17 concentrates on trueing and dressing wheels. There are other chapters discussing wheel selection, mounting, and balancing.

I purchased mine about 10 years ago on eBay for less than $15.00. There is currently one listed, but the asking price is outrageous. They do pop up from time to time at online used bookstores in the $10.00 to $20.00 range. There are several newer versions by the same author, but I;'m not sure they cover the same subjects.
Ive used one before. Just never my own in my shop. When i was taught to dress them it was just a diamond. Never using a stick as well.

Back