Precision Level Build

A sketch of what you are working to would help us to visualize your project. I'm having difficulty seeing the need for a circular groove on one face.

That groove is mostly for reduced weight and less surface contact of the base. It also can be used to set on round bar stock to boot. I am just winging it right now. All the design is in my head at the moment.

Once I finish I can do a 3D solid of it if you like.

Cutting oil is my blood.

What size tubing would you need, any idea?

What size tubing would you need, any idea?

Not sure yet. I will be getting the vile this afternoon when I get home. I hope. Maybe 15mm ID FOR the main body. Then 17mm for the cover. Both being 1 mm wall?

Cutting oil is my blood.

I was wondering if butane would be a good choice. As the tube heated up, wouldn't the pressure inside the tube increase, thus shrinking the size of the bubble?
The coefficient of volume expansion is similar to those of other non-aqueous liquids. I don't worry about the size of the bubble that greatly. I am more concerned with its centering. The ability of a bubble to settle quickly is more important.

Maybe 15mm ID FOR the main body. Then 17mm for the cover. Both being 1 mm wall?
Mine will likely be too small then. I have access to a fair swack of brass tube but it’s 0.5” OD and 0.035” wall. Probably would have cost an arm and a leg to mail a chunk there anyways..

-frank

Mine will likely be too small then. I have access to a fair swack of brass tube but it’s 0.5” OD and 0.035” wall. Probably would have cost an arm and a leg to mail a chunk there anyways..

-frank

I looked on Mcmaster I can get what I need for about $20. I also will swing by my local metal supply and see what they have. Specialize in Aluminum and brass. Looking things up it appears the OD of the vile is .465. So I have a few options to work with.

1/2”OD .014 wall or beefy 5/8”OD .065 wall. Then there are .014 wall options to work with making the cover. I will see what I can pickup before ordering.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Brass plumbing pipe in 3/8" should meet your needs In addition to plumbing, it is also used for lighting fixtures. Check with a a local plumbing or lighting supply house. 3/8" pipe, .495 I.D. - .675" O.D. Turn thr O.D. down to something like ..595" on one and bore the second to .600" on the second.

Brass plumbing pipe in 3/8" should meet your needs In addition to plumbing, it is also used for lighting fixtures. Check with a a local plumbing or lighting supply house. 3/8" pipe, .495 I.D. - .675" O.D. Turn thr O.D. down to something like ..595" on one and bore the second to .600" on the second.

I like that idea. Thank you!

Cutting oil is my blood.

Started drawing it up in MasterCam

210040f85e8047c5813a2df66593de4e.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back