Practised grinding tonight

Wobbly, is that two gallon cans of white gas on the shelf within arm's reach of your welding table? One thing I've learned about life is that **** happens, even when the chance seems remote.
Yeah, it is. Got to get those cans out of there. Thanks for the reminder! One tends to forget to look around and scan for danger in a familiar place. I'll take care of that today. I also have a pile of crap on the back of the welding bench. Got to get that out of there too. The back actually is a cutting area. (Vertical slats with a drop down area.) I have a piece of sheet metal over it. You can see what happens to a clear surface in this garage. It's a constant battle over the clutter. Thanks for looking out for me @pontiac428 !

I'm watching out for you! Actually, I had a vapor explosion and was engulfed in flame in my garage/basement back on June 23rd. The fire department saved my house, but I lost my fun car. Still haven't calmed down enough about it to start a thread here, still having some PTSD issues, I guess. That's what I mean about **** happens. I look at fire safety much differently now.

I'm watching out for you! Actually, I had a vapor explosion and was engulfed in flame in my garage/basement back on June 23rd. The fire department saved my house, but I lost my fun car. Still haven't calmed down enough about it to start a thread here, still having some PTSD issues, I guess. That's what I mean about **** happens. I look at fire safety much differently now.
Oh my.
I'm so glad you are OK....
Thank you for bringing safety to forefront John.

I'm terribly sorry you had to experience that. And very sorry to stir up those horrible memories. I'm most grateful that you noticed and cared enough to point out this safety hazard in my garage. I've removed those white gas cans from the garage and put them in an outdoor shed. People get cavalier about safety, but it only takes just a moment for things to go from normal to disaster. Thank you so much for pointing out my garage lapse. I hope that others will take the time to do a garage and shop walk though and fix up any potential safety issues. For the rest of us, here on HM, and elsewhere - the time for a safety audit is before disaster.

Here’s a trial fitting of my bandsaw stand
Need to add hold down brackets, casters and chip tray.
597f4861a10a7c0bc491483e4666274e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that. Was just talking to some guys today that my Horror Freight saw cuts ok, but the stand is awful.

I like that. Was just talking to some guys today that my Horror Freight saw cuts ok, but the stand is awful.
Thanks!
The stamped steel stands are atrocious.
Mine would teeter from side to side no matter how slowly I moved it.
It was also too low for me to use my Ridgid support stand for long stock.
It had to go!

Nice job. You are getting better at your welding. Don't be afraid to take your welds to the edge. Also slow the feed and carry the arch up onto the vertical. When you weld a verticle to a horizontal, carry rge extremes onto the surfaces but dwell in the joint to get the penetration and fill the groove.

Nice job. You are getting better at your welding. Don't be afraid to take your welds to the edge. Also slow the feed and carry the arch up onto the vertical. When you weld a verticle to a horizontal, carry rge extremes onto the surfaces but dwell in the joint to get the penetration and fill the groove.

Thanks! Your advice was pivotal!
I should have gone down a bit on the feed rate as I was blowing through at the edges. Hence my fear of edges :)

I push when I MIG. My puddle manipulation is circles as wide as I can make them while still getting back the the weld root before the MIG wire solidifies.

They say “If there is slag, then you drag”. So for any SMAW or FCAW, you must pull. GMAW is not considered to have slag, so you are a-okay to push.

The circle pattern pays great dividends with regard to tie in at the toes of the weld. Make those circles all the same diameter and you will have beautiful beads.

If you attempt to make too wide of a circle, when you get back to the root you will have to remelt that part of the puddle. That is a no no for strength.

I use the Miller App for MIG settings. It is free and very simple to use.

Last edited:
Back