Practised grinding tonight

It has a 1/1/1/2 clarity rating which is the same as the high end Esabs, Lincoln’s, and Optrels.

I would venture to say that is not accurate. Here is why I feel this way....

At the moment there are only three ratings in the 4 categories for welding helmets. 1,2,3. Obviously 1 being the best. The problem is that with this rating system, it does not allow for "expansion" for the rating system the way it is currently configured. Sure getting "down" to that "1" rating surely helps, but once that rating is met, there is no way to "tell" if there is something better, other than trying it.

Think of it like this paralleled system:

Pretend all street-legal passenger motor vehicles are rated in a category for top-speed.
3= vehicle can safely obtain 100mph top speed
2= vehicle can safely obtain 120mph top speed.
1=vehicle can safely obtain 130mph top speed.

In this hypothetical scheme, 2 is better than 3, and 1 is better than 2. (remember this is hypothetical considering only this one category, for simplicity and to get my point across)

The problem is #1. By whatever criteria the governing body has chosen to implement, a vehicle could potentially "just barely" make the cut for #1 to get that rating. Think of it being the "1" rating for welding helmets. So any vehicle that can safely obtain a top-speed of 130mph would receive that same 1 rating. So what does than mean for say a vehicle than safely obtain 150mph? 180mph? 200mph? 220mph? By the rating system currently in place, a high-speed Ferrari, Lamborghini,Bugatti would all get a #1, just the same as a vehicle that can just barely make the cut (say a modern $50K sports car than most anyone can go out and buy from a regular dealership).

But clearly those hypercars are much superior machines for top-speed (the hypothetical category that is being rated). Yet by the rating system the $50k sports car might be (and IMO is) incorrectly assumed to be 'just as good' as the hypercars that scored the same in that same category. Why? well it too scored a 1 didn't it? So my $50k sports car is just as good as a $300k Lamborghini Aventador. Awesome I'll save $250k and get the same top-speed performance. :D

If you an follow my logic, then you can see why it is my opinion that the rating system is flawed in the sense that ultra-high performance helmets might be incorrectly rated the same as other lesser helmets that, while still great, just barely made the cut, and the ultra-high performance helmets are well ahead of the game, but are not rated as such because such a rating perhaps doesn't exist.

Just something to think about.

I am dying to try this:
Robert

You will not regret it. Light years ahead of most anything out there commercially available. Don't even think about it. It is worth it.

Anyone here done price research for the Optrel 2.0 in (or shipped to) Canada?

I would venture to say that is not accurate. Here is why I feel this way....

At the moment there are only three ratings in the 4 categories for welding helmets. 1,2,3. Obviously 1 being the best. The problem is that with this rating system, it does not allow for "expansion" for the rating system the way it is currently configured. Sure getting "down" to that "1" rating surely helps, but once that rating is met, there is no way to "tell" if there is something better, other than trying it.

Think of it like this paralleled system:

Pretend all street-legal passenger motor vehicles are rated in a category for top-speed.
3= vehicle can safely obtain 100mph top speed
2= vehicle can safely obtain 120mph top speed.
1=vehicle can safely obtain 130mph top speed.

In this hypothetical scheme, 2 is better than 3, and 1 is better than 2. (remember this is hypothetical considering only this one category, for simplicity and to get my point across)

The problem is #1. By whatever criteria the governing body has chosen to implement, a vehicle could potentially "just barely" make the cut for #1 to get that rating. Think of it being the "1" rating for welding helmets. So any vehicle that can safely obtain a top-speed of 130mph would receive that same 1 rating. So what does than mean for say a vehicle than safely obtain 150mph? 180mph? 200mph? 220mph? By the rating system currently in place, a high-speed Ferrari, Lamborghini,Bugatti would all get a #1, just the same as a vehicle that can just barely make the cut (say a modern $50K sports car than most anyone can go out and buy from a regular dealership).

But clearly those hypercars are much superior machines for top-speed (the hypothetical category that is being rated). Yet by the rating system the $50k sports car might be (and IMO is) incorrectly assumed to be 'just as good' as the hypercars that scored the same in that same category. Why? well it too scored a 1 didn't it? So my $50k sports car is just as good as a $300k Lamborghini Aventador. Awesome I'll save $250k and get the same top-speed performance. :D

If you an follow my logic, then you can see why it is my opinion that the rating system is flawed in the sense that ultra-high performance helmets might be incorrectly rated the same as other lesser helmets that, while still great, just barely made the cut, and the ultra-high performance helmets are well ahead of the game, but are not rated as such because such a rating perhaps doesn't exist.

Just something to think about.
I see your point and agree. I also want to suggest that a 1/1/1/1 or 1/1/1/2 rated helmet is surely going to be better than a circa 2000 helmet without any rating. In the absence of a truly objective and sufficiently granular measurement I don't see (no pun intended) how can a consumer evaluate helmets.

The other challenge for me is that while an Optrel is the cream of the crop, for me it's a $700 helmet. As a hobbyist, I can't justify that expense.
I know the usual argument is "How much are your eyes worth?.

Funny you should mention that...

eBay is $566 Cdn plus shipping. Need to pay taxes on top of that when it crosses border.

$566 eBay
$30 shipping Express Air or similar

12% sales tax to Border Services when you clear it at airport.

above in Cdn funds

About $670 Cdn —eBay

I was too lazy to fill out all the crap with Canada Weld to get the shipping price.

Which is kind of annoying as obviously they set their “Sale” price to match US purchases landed in Canada.

Last edited:
eBay is $566 Cdn plus shipping. Need to pay taxes on top of that when it crosses border.

$566 eBay
$30 shipping Express Air or similar

12% sales tax to Border Services when you clear it at airport.

above in Cdn funds

About $670 Cdn —eBay
Looks like it works out to be within pennies.
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.39.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.40.18 AM.png

In which case Canada Weld would be the choice between the two.
Yup, if I was prepared to drop $650 on a helmet...
I totally get what Oscar is saying. And I wish I had that kind of cash to spend on it.

Back