Practised grinding tonight

This is a mag base light I can move around...Quasar bright

This is a mag base light I can move around...Quasar bright
No kidding that's bright! I think that cloth is starting to smoke o_O

HAHA, I had to put down a black T shirt because the glare off of the chuck was too bright.:)

@DavidR8 take a look, I updated the post with pictures.
Thanks for those pics. They give me a bit of an idea. I have a couple of LED lights leftover from my reno that I'm going to rig up into something similar.

Thanks for those pics. They give me a bit of an idea. I have a couple of LED lights leftover from my reno that I'm going to rig up into something similar.
Glad to help! Good task lighting helps you weld better.

Just make sure the light does not get behind you, it'll glare in the helmet.

Just make sure the light does not get behind you, it'll glare in the helmet.
Yes, I'm battling a bit of that too. I might add some cloth to the back of my hood.

Not to belabor this, you are doing well on your welding.

A couple of observations, your too cold, your penetration shows it, also, the rounded welds. You would be better off upping the amperage and regulating the penetration and bead by your speed. You may also want to slow the wire feed down just a little.

Also, instead of dragging the wire in a straight line, you can see this in the "<<<<<" pattern, create an arch "CCCCCCCCC" type of motion. You should be pushing the rod into the C so that the opening is where your wire is feeding and you back away from the advancement of the bead.

A little practice and you will be in like Flint!

Not to belabor this, you are doing well on your welding.

A couple of observations, your too cold, your penetration shows it, also, the rounded welds. You would be better off upping the amperage and regulating the penetration and bead by your speed. You may also want to slow the wire feed down just a little.

Also, instead of dragging the wire in a straight line, you can see this in the "<<<<<" pattern, create an arch "CCCCCCCCC" type of motion. You should be pushing the rod into the C so that the opening is where your wire is feeding and you back away from the advancement of the bead.

A little practice and you will be in like Flint!
Gosh, thank you for the encouragement, it's really appreciated.
I'm definitely struggling with the settings. I measure the wire feed speeds the other day so that I would have some clue where I was at.
This what I have for speeds. I was running 300 IPM 50, second tap of four for voltage. No idea what the actual voltage is though...
SpeedIPM

Back