Practised grinding tonight

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm building a new stand for my 4x6 bandsaw. Using 16 ga, 1" square tube. I was going to try TIG'ing it together but my TIG skills just aren't there yet. So I broke out the Millermatic 130.
Suffice it to say. I'm out of practice...but I did get in some grinding practice. Sigh....

Indeed. In all honesty I don't put in enough hood time so my expectations are too high.

What no pictures? C'mon David you know the rules. We want to see pictures.

What no pictures? C'mon David you know the rules. We want to see pictures.

All right, all right...
Here’s an as-welded bead.
.030 wire
99bbf0312363cbd2ff429268cd34a452.jpg

And my magnificent grinding.
6aa2cf5adf7e2b0ae0b5b505e0862c2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The holes are from not being clean, or too much air movement, you may need to up the gas if you have a breeze.

What is the old saying, a tack weld can hold a ton.
That will never break, might not win any welding awards, but the job is done.
I was welder when I was younger and nowadays I do welds worse than that with my MIG. LOL!

Part of my challenge is that I have a hard time seeing the puddle with my current helmet.
I tried the new Esab Savage 40 at my LWS and was utterly amazed by the clarity and colour.
I should have one by the end of the week.

The holes are from not being clean, or too much air movement, you may need to up the gas if you have a breeze.

Indeed I likely missed grinding off a bit of the powder coating.

I should have one by the end of the week.
I thought you bought a new Blue Demon a while back, or is this the one you don’t like?
Had an Aha moment over the weekend myself with welding — I’ve always loved my Optrel helmet but the cartridge gave out. After leaving it sit beside my bed for several years I suddenly wondered if I could switch the cartridge from my crappy Lincoln into the Optrel hood. Well, you can (I’m sure others knew this) and I’m back to wearing the Optrel again :)
Still the Lincoln cartridge, but it does feel and see better.

-frank

Back