Practised grinding tonight

The Lincoln 4C is good,, and I also have the Optrel e64, not sure how it is compared to the 2.0, but not like looking through clear glass. The Lincoln uses the common cheater inserts, the Optrel has their own design that you get from them. I was able to find up to 350 cheaters on Ebay for the Lincoln, but the Optrel only show up to 250

I gotta' agree that being able to see the puddle is crucial to a good weld but there are so many other variables at play - voltage, amps, cleanliness, practice/practice/practice, gas flow rates, etc. Mig welding is fun and allows those of us who are not real weldors to stick stuff together but it really helps when everything is right.

I gotta' agree that being able to see the puddle is crucial to a good weld but there are so many other variables at play - voltage, amps, cleanliness, practice/practice/practice, gas flow rates, etc. Mig welding is fun and allows those of us who are not real weldors to stick stuff together but it really helps when everything is right.

I’m looking forward to being able to see the puddle. Right now all I can see is a green light. There’s zero definition or clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added a 3.5 cheater lens to my cheapy HF helmet. Made a world of difference in being able to see what's going on. Good lighting also helps. If I really need to see something and I can get real close I will wear my 2.0 reading glasses inside the helmet. That gives me 7x magnification. I've posted my lousy welds in other threads. I practice on .060 exhaust tubing. Here's some pic's to keep everybody happy.

IMG_3799.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG

I added a 3.5 cheater lens to my cheapy HF helmet. Made a world of difference in being able to see what's going on. Good lighting also helps. If I really need to see something and I can get real close I will wear my 2.0 reading glasses inside the helmet. That gives me 7x magnification. I've posted my lousy welds in other threads. I practice on .060 exhaust tubing. Here's some pic's to keep everybody happy.

View attachment 337160

View attachment 337161

Thanks for sharing your welds.
Good tip on the readers. I have a pair. I might just try them tonight!

Thanks for sharing your welds.
Good tip on the readers. I have a pair. I might just try them tonight!

What sort of magnification have you been using?

I use a 2.5X cheater in my Miller helmets & 2.5X, 3X or (rarely) 5X eyeglasses in my “cheaterless” helmets.

I can’t get magnifying lenses for my helmet so I’ve been using my safety glasses which have a magnifying area at the bottom of the lens, like bifocals.
Problem is that means I have to have the helmet tipped down to see through its lens. And because it’s tipped down my breath tends to fog the inside.
So not good all around.

I can’t get magnifying lenses for my helmet so I’ve been using my safety glasses which have a magnifying area at the bottom of the lens, like bifocals.
Problem is that means I have to have the helmet tipped down to see through its lens. And because it’s tipped down my breath tends to fog the inside.
So not good all around.

Have you ever tried 2.5X or 3X eyeglasses in the helmet? I buy cheap ones on Amazon.

Get full sized readers from the drug store, the smaller sized lenses will be too low on your nose. Get something with a focal length that will focus at the distance you are comfortable welding at. It may be a dramatic number because you normally read at arms length, welding is much closer.

Back