Practised grinding tonight

I feel somewhat better about my lousy welds after reading that 16 ga is decidedly difficult to weld, even for seasoned welders.

As goofy as it looks, this actually helps a lot. Hardware store checkout counter special, the trouble is the switch goes wonky after a while and it stops working. Cheap to replace though.

View attachment 337119

Brilliant idea Frank! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor buy a magnification lense for your helmet it makes a world of difference. I have 20/20 and like others had a hard time seeing the puddle sometimes. With the lense it’s a whole different ball game. I think it’s a 2x.

Do yourself a favor buy a magnification lense for your helmet it makes a world of difference. I have 20/20 and like others had a hard time seeing the puddle sometimes. With the lense it’s a whole different ball game. I think it’s a 2x.

I have 2x safety glasses but they are absolutely worthless under the hood.
I’ve got a 2x lens coming with the Esab helmet.

I am dying to try this:
Robert

I think that your weld beads show tremendous promise. I am in a similar situation as you, and I take every opportunity to weld on coupons.

Hopefully you have hundreds of hours to spend welding coupons.

The coupons I use are about 1” X 3” mild steel with an approximate thickness of .090”-.120”.

When you get the coupons, you will see that you can do stringers, butt joints, lap joints, fillet joints, T-joints, and edge joints before they end up scrap.

I usually won’t even take the time to grind off the mill scale. If it is too boring for you, you can put on some music. I really enjoy welding with headphones on.

Coupons are the best way to rack up the hundreds of hours of hood time needed for beautiful beads.

I stick welded on coupons for about 14 hours last weekend. I did not take the time to take even a single photo because I wanted to just burn rods.

Last edited:
Gosh, I appreciate your vote of confidence Erik! :)
I freely admit that I don’t spend enough time practicing.
That’s going to change now that my shop is mostly sorted out.

Gosh, I appreciate your vote of confidence Erik! :)
I freely admit that I don’t spend enough time practicing.
That’s going to change now that my shop is mostly sorted out.

I try to spend as much time as possible doing the processes (e.g. multipass fillet TIG weld or knurling mild steel). I will never go on Facebook or Instagram because, to me, this takes time away from the work. This forum is special, however.

When I fabricate something, I don’t spend enough time actually welding. The hot work is the most fun part; I enjoy the action!

Last edited:
I am dying to try this:
Robert

I hear that it’s like looking through clear glass.
Shame it’s near $600 in Canada.

Back