Practised grinding tonight

I thought you bought a new Blue Demon a while back, or is this the one you don’t like?
Had an Aha moment over the weekend myself with welding — I’ve always loved my Optrel helmet but the cartridge gave out. After leaving it sit beside my bed for several years I suddenly wondered if I could switch the cartridge from my crappy Lincoln into the Optrel hood. Well, you can (I’m sure others knew this) and I’m back to wearing the Optrel again :)
Still the Lincoln cartridge, but it does feel and see better.

-frank

I didn’t end up buying the Blue Demon because I couldn’t find one to try.
I watched some reviews of the Esab and Barry Hamel had one that they let me try. I was completely amazed by the difference.
It has a 1/1/1/2 clarity rating which is the same as the high end Esabs, Lincoln’s, and Optrels.

Good job on reviving your Optrel. I wouldn’t have thought that a switch would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you, I am working on building my tig skill. I had problems with that sort of porosity when the Tig weld got 100% penetration and picked up the backside rust or other contaminants. Once it started, it wouldn't quit. I found that I could use 309 filler and it would weld fine. If I pick up a bad area, I grab the 309 and often can got back to the ER70 after just a small amount of good weld is established. I'm not sure if I have the answer or even the cause but I thought I might mention it in the chance it helps you.

Thanks Rick, that’s good advice. I’ll pick up some 309 as my next build is also using reclaimed steel.

Every time i mig weld i need to practice on a piece of scrap.
My mig welds typically have a large fillet. More heat and move faster, i tells myself.
Brave man David, you got a dare to show your welds. I didn’t think you would fall for it

The 309 is expensive but really helpful welding unknown material. I use it for welding a socket to the end of a wrench and those sort of things too. It will be well worth having a pack of it around. Rusty, cruddy steel isn't where TIG shines but I still use it because how clean it is in the shop. I haven't used a stick weld since getting it, even though I likely should have.

Thanks Jeff, I have no issue showing my lousy welds here. Elsewhere not so much. :)

I for one used to blame my hood for not being able to see the puddle.

Quality helmets make a world of difference for color and clarity but I think my biggest problem was moving my head to a position where I could actually “see”

09a87f5fe42fca56971254b95767ba6b.jpg

These two no name ADs I purchased for $5 each and they work fine although the headgear on one is poor...

e5b8f67e7c153e9e5735e4422604aed8.jpg

Thanks @lis2323, it was definitely better last night. I used a desk lamp to light the work and that helped a lot. I changed the protective lenses and that also helped some. The helmet is 15 years old and it's starting to not always darken. The batteries are not replaceable so that's a real problem.

I added an Energizer LED from Canadian Tire to this Tweco lid that came free with a Thermal Arc I bought. It works well but does get in the way sometimes so it is not ideal.

7a230d24d662a477ac13a6473614c773.jpg

Chin height would work best for lighting IMO

The Weld Cote helmet in the picture was sent to me from a welding consultant friend. It is my go to at the moment.

5a4472bd6bcdd011a9cec0fdb6aa2aae.jpg

You can’t beat it for comfort and clarity. I think they are around the $100usd mark on Amazon.

Thanks @lis2323, the headlamp is a good idea. I found that even with sensitivity turned down, the desklamp would trigger the AD and then I couldn't see a thing.

Back