PM’s new MagXact MX-200L DRO?

Feed rates are absolutely related to cutter size. Feed rate is not table movement but is cutter movement through material.
I don't understand how that could be. A 1/2" end mill and a 1" end mill can both travel though material at 20 ipm. If you have a 1" end mill and are only using half of it to cut a 1/2 step into a block the feed rate isn't suddenly changed.

Unless the feed rate display is actually calculating something different than what I consider feed rate, which is just the table speed.

Edit: I think I understand now. It probably is reading cutter feed rate as opposed to table feed rate. That may be why PM said it doesn't read out feed rates when I asked. Does the DRO allow you to store tool diameters that adjusts the cutter feed rate based on their diameters?

Last edited:
I am probably doing a horrible job at describing this (again I am a total noob) but the way I understand feed rate, is the speed at which the cutting edge moves through material in Surface Feet per Minute. I do hope someone chimes in on this and clarifies one way or another.

No, it is just table movement/time, not a SFM calculation. You can set it to read a specific axis. I have an EL700, the feed rate is quite helpful.

No, it is just table movement/time, not a SFM calculation. You can set it to read a specific axis. I have an EL700, the feed rate is quite helpful.
Why does my table only move 6.5" in a minute when it reads 20 when unit of measure is inches, and at the same power feed setting changes to 8 when I change unit of measure to mm?

Don't know, I do not have that issue. Have you checked the resolution settings of the scale and that the display is reading the correct distance?

I will do so, but either way if it is only measuring table distance over time, the number when switched to mm should go up...unless it is measuring mm/sec.

Here's a very inaccurate representation of my DRO readings. The axis was zeroed on the 0 of the ruler, and then the table was moved.
tempImagetTVQMC.jpg
tempImage0sBKnR.jpg
tempImageh6MrNL.jpg
tempImagej9laI6.jpg
tempImagej4fnUZ.jpg
tempImageMgzDGN.jpg

Edit: I think I understand now. It probably is reading cutter feed rate as opposed to table feed rate. That may be why PM said it doesn't read out feed rates when I asked. Does the DRO allow you to store tool diameters that adjusts the cutter feed rate based on their diameters?
I am not sure Lucas. I'm a total noob, and from what Mark is saying it should only be displaying table movement. What is weird is:

In inch settings, it is displaying a rate that is spot on with what I would see as SF/m with a 1 " cutter at 60 RPM's, making it VERY easy to dial in a speed and feed based on any imperial sized cutter I could choose with some simple math.

In mm settings, it is displaying a rate that is spot on with what I would see as SF/m with a 10mm cutter spinning at 60 RPM's, making it VERY easy to dial in a speed and feed based on any metric sized cutter I could choose with some simple math.

Not sure if it is blind luck here, but that is what I am seeing on my DX-200.

Edit - I really don't think I am thinking about this correctly...but I am at a loss as to why my DRO is showing 20 and the table is only moving 6.5".

Last edited:
I checked mine, at 10 IPM it travels 10" in 1 minute, and 254 mm. The display for feed rate in metric shows ~4.2 mm/sec. 254/60 = 4.23.

Corrected to IPM. Always seem to have issues with my computer changing things, or maybe it is just my old brain playing tricks on me.

Last edited:
Back