PM’s new MagXact MX-200L DRO?

Looks like it is a new version of the Elctronica EL700, they now called the EL750 and comes with magnetic scales. I have the EL700 on my mill and it works very well, the display is bright and crisp. Lots of different functions. Only down side is it uses a touch screen, so not so good when using it with oily fingers and can also become damaged from swarf since it is plastic. I used a tablet screen protector, cut it to fit and have it on top of the display screen. I highly recommended added a screen protector.

Price wise it is actually reasonable for a graphic display with magnetic scales, the mill version with 4 scales was almost twice the price. The magnetic scales and display are high quality units. Just a reminder that on the lathe you want to specify the cross slide scale as 1 micron otherwise you can get greater measurement errors when in diameter mode.

EL750 and EL700
View attachment 370874
Do you by chance remember what size or kind of screen protector you bought for this? I just purchased the MX-200L and am now worried about touching the screen with oily fingers. About how big is the touch screen portion and did the screen protector cause any issues making selections? Tried your link but it no longer works. But stick with plastic? Gotcha.

Any plastic touch screen protector will work, you just need to trim it with some scissors to size. I have been using the Celicious Matte Anti-Glare Screen Protector (touch) on on my EL700 (same as the MX200), they work well. I prefer the Matte anti-glare version so it is less likely to get reflections from lights or sunshine.
Screen Protector.jpg

Any plastic touch screen protector will work, you just need to trim it with some scissors to size. I have been using the Celicious Matte Anti-Glare Screen Protector (touch) on on my EL700 (same as the MX200), they work well. I prefer the Matte anti-glare version so it is less likely to get reflections from lights or sunshine.
Got it. Thanks dude.

Two cents worth....

I have the PM Magnetic equivalent to the EL400. It seems to work well and I have no problem seeing the display. I actually prefer mechanical buttons to the capacitance style keys. Over the years, I have have had lots of problems with the capacitance keys and their cable interconnects, especially as they age. It came with a plastic cover, but I pitched it as it was torn and stiff. You can see the DRO at the top of the first photo I posted at
VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.
It is a high resolution image so just expand it and you will have a clear picture of the DRO display.

The numbers are in green and so are quite visible, but I don't have sun light at this location. I purchased it installed on my PM1440GT and at the time PM had not figured out what to call these magnetic scales yet. I may have purchased the first one that they sold! Hence, you will not see the MagXact label on mine. I think they call it the 100L now. I am not for sure where the name comes from.

Dave

Dave, That is the exact unit I have on order. Well, actually I have two of them on order, a 2 axis for the lathe and a 3 axis for the mill.

For many people, a DRO is a luxury and not a necessity, but when it comes to a mill there are a lot more features in the MX-200 DRO's in multiple menus, soft keys and graphical representations of arrays, bolt circles, and if desired touch probe that for the cost difference between the MX-100 and 200 there is a big difference in features. Simple things like feed IPM simultaneous as well as a 0 indicator, I use quite a few of the DRO features.

As far as the capacitive touch screen, I prefer sealed membrane switches as far as tactile feedback, but it is more reliable than mechanical switches. I have heard other's complain about the switches on the EL400 (MX100). With a screen protector on my El700, the capcitive touch on mine seems to be less finicky as to finger placement. On a mill DRO, if you spending that much I would recommend a graphical display otherwise if just for numbers save some pocket change and maybe get something less expensive. Lathe, you are just reading numbers, but I still prefer the less expensive ES-12B over the MX-100L. Whatever floats your boat.

How long until we can just tell it what to do? Alexa advance 2.061 in X. Mike

For many people, a DRO is a luxury and not a necessity, but when it comes to a mill there are a lot more features in the MX-200 DRO's in multiple menus, soft keys and graphical representations of arrays, bolt circles, and if desired touch probe that for the cost difference between the MX-100 and 200 there is a big difference in features. Simple things like feed IPM simultaneous as well as a 0 indicator, I use quite a few of the DRO features.

As far as the capacitive touch screen, I prefer sealed membrane switches as far as tactile feedback, but it is more reliable than mechanical switches. I have heard other's complain about the switches on the EL400 (MX100). With a screen protector on my El700, the capcitive touch on mine seems to be less finicky as to finger placement. On a mill DRO, if you spending that much I would recommend a graphical display otherwise if just for numbers save some pocket change and maybe get something less expensive. Lathe, you are just reading numbers, but I still prefer the less expensive ES-12B over the MX-100L. Whatever floats your boat.
Does your MX200 have inches per minute read out? I emailed PM asking if it did as I wanted to upgrade to get that feature and Matt replied that they did not come with it.

It’s the same dro as the el750 dro pros sales. According to electronica who manufactures the display it shows that it displays feed rate. Haven’t used mine yet as I don’t yet have it installed.

Does your MX200 have inches per minute read out? I emailed PM asking if it did as I wanted to upgrade to get that feature and Matt replied that they did not come with it.
I can confirm that it DOES display feed rate in upper right corner.

Back