PM’s new MagXact MX-200L DRO?

Just got off the phone with PM. So they are a $200 difference each, total of $400 for me. Would you still think it worth it for a newly learning hobbiest?

Yes. I have heard of a few people mention that the EL400 and similar displays are hard to read if sunlight is shining on the screen, and the switches are not sealed. Other DRO's have sealed membrane switches and some come with a protective cover. When you get into the graphical displays they are much easier to read and you also have soft menu keys with different options and sub menus. In particular on the mill, I find it very helpful for different drilling patterns like bolt circles. You also have things like feed rates that are shown in the upper right corner of the screen. Since I have a 4 axis, I sum the Z and U, so mine currently shows 3 axis.

Just be aware that they are touch displays, so they can be a bit finicky with greasy or wet fingers. Definitely recommend putting on a touch screen protector to prevent any damage to the screen.

Just got off the phone with PM. So they are a $200 difference each, total of $400 for me. Would you still think it worth it for a newly learning hobbiest?
That's one of those questions that ultimately only you can answer of course, but to me the answer would be yes. I've upgraded mine for my 1340 order and if I didn't have a Newall on the used mill I recently acquired I would get the same for the mill.

This is a large outlay of money (for me at least) and not getting a better component that is so integral to the daily operation of the machine when the upgrade is roughly a 2% price increase for the lathe, just doesn't make sense for me. Of course you are buying two machines at once, but I think the principal still applies.

I would save money elsewhere is what I'm saying, but that's just me.

That's one of those questions that ultimately only you can answer of course, but to me the answer would be yes. I've upgraded mine for my 1340 order and if I didn't have a Newall on the used mill I recently acquired I would get the same for the mill.

This is a large outlay of money (for me at least) and not getting a better component that is so integral to the daily operation of the machine when the upgrade is roughly a 2% price increase for the lathe, just doesn't make sense for me. Of course you are buying two machines at once, but I think the principal still applies.

I would save money elsewhere is what I'm saying, but that's just me.
Yeah...Instead of waiting for advice, I called John and asked him to send me a sales order.

Per what Jake mentioned. If it were my machines I would not go with the older style numeric displays, things like feed rate and so forth I use all the time and also I find them much easier to read. You can also look at it as the EL-750 through QMT is $100 less than the EL400 sold at DROPros. It is not an inexpensive hobby, but I look at small price difference amortized over many years to be worth spending a little more if it is in your budget. The installs are fairly straight forward and a bit easier with the magnetic scales.

This is so much easier to read, and I do not get flickering digits or 5 decimal places.
EL700 DRO.jpg

Get them pre installed as well, while installation is not hard it is time consuming to get right. Others feel that they would rather do it themselves just so that they know it was done better than a 9-5er install though. :)

Get them pre installed as well, while installation is not hard it is time consuming to get right. Others feel that they would rather do it themselves just so that they know it was done better than a 9-5er install though. :)
I'm one of those, but not just because I think I can do a better job, but I find that kind of work enjoyable.

For those that were following this thread and those who might later read about my Newall warranty situation, here’s an update as of this morning.

The faulty scale that Newall requested be shipped to them prior to replacement arrived at their facility on 7/7. After a few days of back and forth emails I was told that my replacement scale would ship on or before 7/26. Not sure why it takes that long to send out a replacement part, but so it is.

After hearing nothing on 7/26 I sent an email again asking what was up. This morning I get a response that says basically “not sure what the issue is, but I’ll check into it later this week”.

Later this week? How about now I’m thinking. It’s a bit frustrating to have no idea what the issue is and then be told that perhaps by the end of the week it will be “looked into”.

Oh well. I’m basically the beggar that can’t be choosy, so onward I wait.

For those that were following this thread and those who might later read about my Newall warranty situation, here’s an update as of this morning.

The faulty scale that Newall requested be shipped to them prior to replacement arrived at their facility on 7/7. After a few days of back and forth emails I was told that my replacement scale would ship on or before 7/26. Not sure why it takes that long to send out a replacement part, but so it is.

After hearing nothing on 7/26 I sent an email again asking what was up. This morning I get a response that says basically “not sure what the issue is, but I’ll check into it later this week”.

Later this week? How about now I’m thinking. It’s a bit frustrating to have no idea what the issue is and then be told that perhaps by the end of the week it will be “looked into”.

Oh well. I’m basically the beggar that can’t be choosy, so onward I wait.
Aren't the Newall kits supposed to be at the higher end for the hobby market, and suited for commercial use as well? I would think their warranty response would be better.

Aren't the Newall kits supposed to be at the higher end for the hobby market, and suited for commercial use as well? I would think their warranty response would be better.
I had hoped that it would not have been drawn out this long!

And yes, what about a commercial shop that needs the part for production? I would think that there are far more commercial applications of this product line than hobby users.

Back