PM’s new MagXact MX-200L DRO?

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone been able to check out this new item yet, first hand? Wondering what the reviews might be.

It was not a choice/available when I got my lathe recently.

Looks like it is a new version of the Elctronica EL700, they now called the EL750 and comes with magnetic scales. I have the EL700 on my mill and it works very well, the display is bright and crisp. Lots of different functions. Only down side is it uses a touch screen, so not so good when using it with oily fingers and can also become damaged from swarf since it is plastic. I used a tablet screen protector, cut it to fit and have it on top of the display screen. I highly recommended added a screen protector.

Price wise it is actually reasonable for a graphic display with magnetic scales, the mill version with 4 scales was almost twice the price. The magnetic scales and display are high quality units. Just a reminder that on the lathe you want to specify the cross slide scale as 1 micron otherwise you can get greater measurement errors when in diameter mode.

EL750 and EL700
Electronica EL750 and 700DRO.jpg

Thanks for the input Mark!

You had mentioned to me in an email a while back to take a look at the Easson DRO. As much as I liked the Easson DRO, I was having a hard time with the overseas issue involved with them. What I mean is that every time I wanted to ask a question regarding my needs with the 1340GT it was a matter of a day at least in correspondence due to them being on the other side of the pond. In addition to that, as I recall, they offer a three year warranty vs. the five year offered by PM. At that time I decided that between having to deal with an overseas vendor and the warranty difference I decided to just stay with my order with PM for the MagXact.

Now they have added this model and it seems to be the best option for getting an LCD type screen (which I think you are right will be easier on the eyes) and having stateside support and a longer warranty.

The price is very comparable when considering shipping, as this will ship with my lathe.

As to the screen protector. If I understand your post correctly you covered only the screen and not the entire face of the unit?

Agree with you going with the newer EL750 model, price wise it is close to the EL400 and I think it would be a much nicer DRO to use. I find the graphical displays to be way easier to see and you can also adjust the colors. The protection overlay is over the whole face of the plastic display screen, you can see the corner edges in the picture below. I went with a non-reflective protective screen which gives it a matte overall view, the screen protectors are for use with touch screens. You need the plastic type which can be cut as opposed to the glass type, it also can be removed/replaced easily.

The screen protector brand I used was Celicious https://www.ebay.com/itm/32390272148

Screen Protector.jpg

I just looked into the Easson warranty again because I was wondering if my comment above regarding a 3 year warranty was correct. I think they only offer a 1 year.

I was looking at the Easson DRO through a UK distributor and their site says 1 year if I'm reading it correctly.

And DRO Pros (at least for magnetic scales, not sure about displays) is only offering 1 year on Easson as well.

The used mill I just acquired has a Newall DRO with Microsyn scales. I had a broken scale due to user error on the Y axis when I bought it. The seller told me he suspected it was broken, and we split the cost for the replacement.

And just yesterday I had a malfunction in the X axis scale that made my heart skip a beat because I thought I had just ruined the scale. Long story short, when I talked with the tech rep at Newall he informed me the problem was a manufacturing defect and that the scale was under a lifetime warranty. That's just awesome! The new scale (a 20" read) is $437.00 plus tax and shipping had it not been under warranty.

Hey Mark,

So you think the 750 is worth the $100 upgrade for each machine? I have the 400's on order for my machines at PM, and am considering calling them to tweak my order..

Yes. I have heard of a few people mention that the EL400 and similar displays are hard to read if sunlight is shining on the screen, and the switches are not sealed. Other DRO's have sealed membrane switches and some come with a protective cover. When you get into the graphical displays they are much easier to read and you also have soft menu keys with different options and sub menus. In particular on the mill, I find it very helpful for different drilling patterns like bolt circles. You also have things like feed rates that are shown in the upper right corner of the screen. Since I have a 4 axis, I sum the Z and U, so mine currently shows 3 axis.

Just be aware that they are touch displays, so they can be a bit finicky with greasy or wet fingers. Definitely recommend putting on a touch screen protector to prevent any damage to the screen.

Back