PM Available for Back Order on all lathes I looked at..!

I don't know that lathe in particular but if you have the room, and if it is in as nice of shape as it seems to be I don't think I would be worried over $500 on a lathe in that price range. Finding a collet closer later might cost you that much or more since you can't just order one up.

You will probably spend $500 just on gas getting up there and back.

Oh my these lathes are funny... Just found a 14X40 similar to the 13X40 and he wants $2500.00 including collet closer, then I looked at grizzly and their 12X36 Model G4003 looks to be just a scaled down version... So really there are 10 lathes in the world and 100 versions of it... Lol I thought the lathe copy thing was restricted to the small lathe world... Boy am I wrong !

The funny thing is I should have known better, we have a similar issue in the woodworking world. I don't know why I thought it would be different over here, there is always more magic and voodoo when I know little about a subject it seems. So Im going to step back a couple steps and reassess the whole lathe thing, at this point

Now that my light bulb finally lite up. I will treat buying a used lathe no different then a used jointer. now I just need to quickly figure out the good from the bad in the lathe department. I can look at a used cabinet saw and tell you if its a good buy or not... not so with lathes yet. but ill get there soon.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me threw these teething times...

Last edited:
So instead of searching for a named Lathe, the last couple days... I have just been searching using the word "lathe" only. I've been mulling lathe size over and although I have found some really good deals on some larger old iron lathes, I'm going to keep to my original plan and only consider sizes from 10 X 24 thru 12 X 36 for now.

While I am in complete agreement that not all Chinese lathes are created equal, whether due to short Cummings or just a price point issue... I am sure there are excellent ones out there. I had a HF 9 X 20 and while it gets just terrible reviews, I still had fun using it and bought it for 300.00. The Logan 1875 I got for 850.00 was an amazing old lathe, I never got to use it but you could just tell from the robustness its night and day over the 9 X 20.

New Lathes while technically upgraded with brushless motors and fancy hardware such as DRO are just icing on the cake, so im not going to rule out older lathes in my search, but may in the end just buy a new lathe for the convenience if I cant find a nice used lathe in the next month or so., not in a huge rush and being limited on knowledge ill still need you guys for expertise in my choices so thanks in advance for helping me out...

I checked all lathes at PM that I would consider buying new, even checked the ultra precision PM-1340GT 13 X 40 With no luck.. Kinda feel bad for them cause they are probably having issues getting their product in stock...

No matter where you read they have a great following and spoke of highly.. I just dont have the patients to wait so Ill end this thread here..!

Last edited:
Back