PM Available for Back Order on all lathes I looked at..!

I would call PM, when I went to order a lathe they had already placed stock order with few extra on it, mine arrived about 6.5 weeks later
they always have something on order they are trying to keep up with demand. So it pays to call them and not just watching the website.

Just a thought here but if you’re limiting your search because of size you may want to reconsider. What I’ve found is that a lathe is such an essential tool for the shop it’s worth moving things around to make a larger one fit.

john

Here's some heavy metal, just add truck freight to the negotiations, it's a little low on RPM.

The one lathe I saw available on Matt's site is the one I would upgrade to if I could. The 1440TL. Way out of my reach (financial) though. Good luck in your lathe search.

Lol I was considering the ultra just not that ultra... The PM-1236T 12″X36″ ULTRA PRECISION LATHE for 4600.00 Just a bit bigger than I would like.
I have a hard cap of 6k for a machine leaving wiggle room for accessories.

Here's some heavy metal, just add truck freight to the negotiations, it's a little low on RPM.

My first real lathe that I picked up in California was a Logan 1875... I was restoring it to literal perfection and almost had it completed, But i had to move and donated the lathe because I was unsure how long it would take to get a new house.

I dont consider my self a beginner at this craft, was just starting out on the Logan to restore and learn on, I found a trash logan for 750 but its missing parts and stored out doors in cali. im currently looking at atlas clausing in AZ it runs and there asking 1k but it would be a full restore..

Im not trying to restrict my self too much but would like to keep it under 36X10,11,12 for now.

I suspect that the problem isn't so much the swing or bed length, but the overall space that the machine has to fit into, correct? If so, don't box yourself into only looking at small lathes. I had a Grizzly 12x36 and replaced it with a Takisawa 14 x 31 that fit in the same floor space, and in addition, some lathes have huge head stocks while others are shorter.

I suspect that the problem isn't so much the swing or bed length, but the overall space that the machine has to fit into, correct? If so, don't box yourself into only looking at small lathes. I had a Grizzly 12x36 and replaced it with a Takisawa 14 x 31 that fit in the same floor space, and in addition, some lathes have huge head stocks while others are shorter.

60" X 30" nothing set in stone... most of my problem i think is a patience issue, if im not looking for it there are tones available, last time it took a couple months before I found the Logan 1875, then 5 months of restore work, never completed or got to use it..

So after all this time instead of being patient all over again I was just thinking lets just get a new one... I hear good things about PM so I go look... And to my surprise nope there all on back order, so i was kinda let down being excited to just go get one lol.

I think ill just buy a new cheap lathe to keep me busy while hunting for one. I dont mind traveling to get a lathe a few hrs away but it should be something i think will be usable and not total trash to start with. Ill make it work somehow...

thanks for your thought thou.

Last edited:
I bought two new lathes from PM. Both were backordered several months. I enjoy the “anticipation” time! I am still in the wait time for the second lathe.

The ETA was spot on the first time.

60" X 30" nothing set in stone... most of my problem i think is a patience issue, if im not looking for it there are tones available, last time it took a couple months before I found the Logan 1875, then 5 months of restore work, never completed or got to use it..

So after all this time instead of being patient all over again I was just thinking lets just get a new one... I hear good things about PM so I go look... And to my surprise nope there all on back order, so i was kinda let down being excited to just go get one lol.

I think ill just buy a new cheap lathe to keep me busy while hunting for one. I dont mind traveling to get a lathe a few hrs away but it should be something i think will be usable and not total trash to start with. Ill make it work somehow...

thanks for your thought thou.

I picked up an Enco 9x20" cheap a few months ago. Basically the same lathe as the Grizzly G4000. Even compared to a Logan or Southbend 10x24 with a QCGB it leaves something to be desired but it isn't a bad little lathe. If that helps you hold out for what you really want it could be money well spent.

Back