PM Available for Back Order on all lathes I looked at..!

I picked up an Enco 9x20" cheap a few months ago. Basically the same lathe as the Grizzly G4000. Even compared to a Logan or Southbend 10x24 with a QCGB it leaves something to be desired but it isn't a bad little lathe. If that helps you hold out for what you really want it could be money well spent.

Lol that is funny... I had the Harbor Freight version of that lathe 2 years ago.. Id be thrilled to find an ENCO version of that.

Im currently looking and making an offer on an ENCO 13X40 from 1991 in Arizona. there are a bunch of 1340s out around here but most are really really used looking,. and one for 2k with crap tones on tooling would be great but look like its seen better days.

One i'm trying to get the guy to sell me from CL for 2500.00 is sweet looking and well taken care of, but hes asking 1200.00 more than im offering so I'm guessing he will pass on my offer.

Ill keep an Eye out for the 9X20 Enco while im looking, ill buy yours cheap if you wana sell it and its in decent condition, I have seen a bunch of modding thread for the 9X20s so i wouldnt mind having a nice one like that... The Harbor Freight one i got for 300 buck was a janky lathe but still worked, tool post was a weak link on that lathe, im sure the other brands are too.

Hey thanks for bringing up the ENCO version of that lathe.. ill look for one, good thinking... I wonder if the Enco, Jet, Griz brands are any different or better Quality than the HF version?

Last edited:
I have seen a bunch of modding thread for the 9X20s so i wouldnt mind having a nice one like that... The Harbor Freight one i got for 300 buck was a janky lathe but still worked, tool post was a weak link on that lathe, im sure the other brands are too.

Hey thanks for bringing up the ENCO version of that lathe.. ill look for one, good thinking... I wonder if the Enco, Jet, Griz brands are any different or better Quality than the HF version?

That is exactly why I got mine. I have an 11x24" Powermatic Logan so the Enco doesn't do anything that my other lathe won't do except cut metric threads. It was only 1/2 hour away, cheap and I thought it would be fun to tinker with and make some of the popular mods to it. If I get bored doing that I can easily get back out of it what I paid for it. Not bored with it yet. ;)

I've not actually looked at a Grizzly G4000, but I have ordered parts for mine from Grizzly and they all fit. I have looked at a Jet, basic fit and finish is better (Taiwan made vs China) but the main difference is a 1 1/2"-8 spindle rather than metric (39mm something). They are all based on the Emco Compact 8. The compound is a weak point on all of them, a lot of people make a solid base (I think they call it a plinth) for the tool post and only mount the compound when they actually need it.

Last edited:
... One i'm trying to get the guy to sell me from CL for 2500.00 is sweet looking and well taken care of, but hes asking 1200.00 more than im offering so I'm guessing he will pass on my offer.
No necessarily. You need to approach such a seller very business-like, look it over and say "I'll give you $$$$ to take it of your hands right now, here's my number" and immediately leave. You do not contact him and keep looking. You're using human nature where he now knows that it would be gone already if he'd just accept a bit less, and it'll eat at him. The trick is not calling to check if it's still available.

No necessarily. You need to approach such a seller very business-like, look it over and say "I'll give you $$$$ to take it of your hands right now, here's my number" and immediately leave. You do not contact him and keep looking. You're using human nature where he now knows that it would be gone already if he'd just accept a bit less, and it'll eat at him. The trick is not calling to check if it's still available.

Had a guy try this crap with me regarding my tractor. About a month after I sold it, I get a call from him wanting to know if I still had it (tractor). I told him that I wrote him off the moment he walked out the door and that I had sold it a couple of weeks earlier. I don't play games well.

Had a guy try this crap with me regarding my tractor. About a month after I sold it, I get a call from him wanting to know if I still had it (tractor). I told him that I wrote him off the moment he walked out the door and that I had sold it a couple of weeks earlier. I don't play games well.

I took a different approach, Just told him the truth, and that his lathe would go to a good home, and be well taken care of....

I either get it or i don't, plenty of other lathes out there.

His mistake is calling back - he's effectively saying that he really wants it, which is tipping his cards, telling you that he'll pay more than otherwise. Monopolize on that by not lowering your price as much as you would have otherwise. "Game" or not, it's dealing shrewdly.

I took a different approach, Just told him the truth, and that his lathe would go to a good home, and be well taken care of.... I either get it or i don't, plenty of other lathes out there.
It sounds like you left him your number - good, now let him think about it while you go on your way looking for better deals, and he's well aware that he's losing a potential buyer.

For what it's worth, it's the same way I approach eBay auctions. I decide what I think it's worth, set a limit, and don't look at it again. This avoids getting sucked into emotional bidding and paying more than intended. As an aside, it's kind of funny to consider that when you win a bid, it means that no one else on Earth (in the case of eBay) thinks that it's worth as much as you do!

So you've had the rebuild experience and don't need to go through it again.

My thing about buying or selling is if negotiations are to happen it’s with Benjamin’s in hand. To many people want to find your bottom dollar in an email. If you’re really far apart this won’t likely work but if it’s a few hundred show up with cash and the means to move it. And be willing to walk away if the price doesn’t come down to where you’re comfortable.

John

Oh yeah, that's always a hot button for me. My ad says $$$ firm, and I get an email "what's the lowest you'll go." I always want to wish them well on their reading comprehension course.

That is exactly why I got mine. I have an 11x24" Powermatic Logan so the Enco doesn't do anything that my other lathe won't do except cut metric threads. It was only 1/2 hour away, cheap and I thought it would be fun to tinker with and make some of the popular mods to it. If I get bored doing that I can easily get back out of it what I paid for it. Not bored with it yet. ;)

I've not actually looked at a Grizzly G4000, but I have ordered parts for mine from Grizzly and they all fit. I have looked at a Jet, basic fit and finish is better (Taiwan made vs China) but the main difference is a 1 1/2"-8 spindle rather than metric (39mm something). They are all based on the Emco Compact 8. The compound is a weak point on all of them, a lot of people make a solid base (I think they call it a plinth) for the tool post and only mount the compound when they actually need it.

I got my first Logan lathe 2 years ago 10X24 model 1875, And did a couple hundred hour restoration job on it ( learned as I went ) posted a thread about it on here with every detail covered to about 90 completion but had to give it away due to life complications, every questionable parts replaced, Oiless bearings, new Spindal bearings. it was like brand new as you could get.. Im so stupid for letting it go.

I'm sure there will be a special place in lathe hell for me down the road. :(

Back