PM Available for Back Order on all lathes I looked at..!

So you've had the rebuild experience and don't need to go through it again.

My thing about buying or selling is if negotiations are to happen it’s with Benjamin’s in hand. To many people want to find your bottom dollar in an email. If you’re really far apart this won’t likely work but if it’s a few hundred show up with cash and the means to move it. And be willing to walk away if the price doesn’t come down to where you’re comfortable.

John

Yes i had a complete rebuild experience and loved every minute of it... I use that new gained knowledge to my benefit now.
Here is the thread --> First Logan Lathe

The lathe is 6 hours away so its not practical to show up with cash in hand hoping they accept what Im willing to pay, and have to just turn around and drive back if they dont...

It sounds like you left him your number - good, now let him think about it while you go on your way looking for better deals, and he's well aware that he's losing a potential buyer.

For what it's worth, it's the same way I approach eBay auctions. I decide what I think it's worth, set a limit, and don't look at it again. This avoids getting sucked into emotional bidding and paying more than intended. As an aside, it's kind of funny to consider that when you win a bid, it means that no one else on Earth (in the case of eBay) thinks that it's worth as much as you do!

Sage advice.

And that's another dealing detail, never answer about how far you drove. If you do, they know you're more likely to buy for that very reason. Car dealers pull that BS all the time like they're your new best friend, but its all about estimating your money potential. Insincerity really bugs me.

So you've had the rebuild experience and don't need to go through it again.

My thing about buying or selling is if negotiations are to happen it’s with Benjamin’s in hand. To many people want to find your bottom dollar in an email. If you’re really far apart this won’t likely work but if it’s a few hundred show up with cash and the means to move it. And be willing to walk away if the price doesn’t come down to where you’re comfortable.

John

I agree but its to far away to just take the risk of driving home empty handed.

And that's another dealing detail, never answer about how far you drove. If you do, they know you're more likely to buy for that very reason. Car dealers pull that BS all the time like they're your new best friend, but its all about estimating your money potential. Insincerity really bugs me.

lol they will soon know where i'm from when I show up with plates from another state... but on the plus side I look poor which is a bonus.

Oh yeah, that's always a hot button for me. My ad says $$$ firm, and I get an email "what's the lowest you'll go." I always want to wish them well on their reading comprehension course.

Here is the lathe Im looking at on CL 13" X 40" Enco for 2500.00 Offer I spoke to the person on the phone, we talked a while and he said he would think about my offer and said if he removes the collet bar from the sale he said he would consider the deal and get back to me. He made it sound like he would take 3k and was trying to work with me, I held out for the 2500.00 cause he stated he had a guy that asked him to hold it for a month, but might just consider my offer .

I did a bunch of research on the lathe, its a Gearhead used for Gunsmithing and weighs in at just over 1000 Lbs, Model 110-1351 and is not the american version made here in the us.

Watched an informative YT video review for the exact lathe which said depending on condition will go between 2k to 3k, so i am in the ball park.

If he accepts the Problem will be getting it home, Our shop truck has a Tommy lift that is rated to 800 Lbs..

So I have a dilemma, I dont like the idea of a tool being removed that is hard to replace, and how on earth will I move this thing.
Think I am biting off more than I can chew here with this one.

Ill keep looking over the weekend, may get lucky thou with a call back and it looks like a decent lathe.

I would tell him to keep the collet closer and sell it for an additional profit and then sell you the lathe for $2500. The good thing is that it comes with a complete (I assume) change gear set, without which the lathe is incomplete. If it is indeed low mileage and it otherwise looks to be in good shape then it looks like a good deal.

I would tell him to keep the collet closer and sell it for an additional profit and then sell you the lathe for $2500. The good thing is that it comes with a complete (I assume) change gear set, without which the lathe is incomplete. If it is indeed low mileage and it otherwise looks to be in good shape then it looks like a good deal.

Hi Mikey.. lol you know you were the person that got me started on electrolysis for rust removal on my Logan 1875 restoration thread from a couple years ago. I learned so much about the restoration process doing it and it was so much fun... Thank you for your support man.

So what do you think Sir.... Should I stop being impatient and try and find, restore another old iron lathe or because this 13X40 is a one owner well taken care of and more modern lathe ( bit finiky changing gears per my research ) It would still make for a fine tool, the new version of this lathe is about $8000.00. My understanding from all the reviews is this Enco 13 X 40 would make a great hobby or low end shop lathe.

It does come with the original gear set & manuals, I think he would let the whole thing go for 3K including the collet closer or 2500.00 without it. The lathe is quite the monster at 1014 Lbs un-crated compared to my Logan that was 750 Lbs.

I wasn't looking for this size lathe, I was trying to keep to 10 X 24 to 12 X 36. My thinking on this was any good condition smaller lathe will cost me about the same with the bigger lathe being more capable... Or am I all wet and visibly dripping..?

If you have a moment take a look at the CL add please ----> Here is the link to it.

Gained new knowledge so pleas ignore above. Thanks Mikey..

Last edited:
Hi Mikey.. lol you know you were the person that got me started on electrolysis for rust removal on my Logan 1875 restoration thread from a couple years ago. I learned so much about the restoration process doing it and it was so much fun... Thank you for your support man.

So what do you think Sir.... Should I stop being impatient and try and find, restore another old iron lathe or because this 13X40 is a one owner well taken care of and more modern lathe ( bit finiky changing gears per my research ) It would still make for a fine tool, the new version of this lathe is about $8000.00. My understanding from all the reviews is this Enco 13 X 40 would make a great hobby or low end shop lathe.

It does come with the original gear set & manuals, I think he would let the whole thing go for 3K including the collet closer or 2500.00 without it. The lathe is quite the monster at 1014 Lbs un-crated compared to my Logan that was 750 Lbs.

I wasn't looking for this size lathe, I was trying to keep to 10 X 24 to 12 X 36. My thinking on this was any good condition smaller lathe will cost me about the same with the bigger lathe being more capable... Or am I all wet and visibly dripping..?

If you have a moment take a look at the CL add please ----> Here is the link to it.

I don't know that lathe in particular but if you have the room, and if it is in as nice of shape as it seems to be I don't think I would be worried over $500 on a lathe in that price range. Finding a collet closer later might cost you that much or more since you can't just order one up.

You will probably spend $500 just on gas getting up there and back.

Back