PM 935TS ordered. Need guidance on VFD components and installation.

I would use the 15A D curve, I have it setup on my mill to run the axis drives which can have a high start-up current, internal power supplies and the DRO. I use two duplex sockets, one connected to the L1 and the other to L2, N and G are in common. I use 4 wire power to my mill and lathe so I do not need to run additional extension cords and power strips. If you are also running power supplies (12/24VDC) they spec. a 15A breaker, I have used smaller breakers in some of my earlier builds and the breaker would partially trip on power-up because of the in-rush current.

What do you plan on powering from that 120V 15A source?
On my rig, I'm running two LED down-lighter lamps, an aquarium air pump, Z and X Axis drives, an air solenoid valve, the 12V control power supply and the DRO. Total 2.5A and 80% of that are intermittent loads, so I've got tons of headroom.
For the beginning, Z and X drives, 12v power supply, and DRO.

I would use the 15A D curve, I have it setup on my mill to run the axis drives which can have a high start-up current, internal power supplies and the DRO. I use two duplex sockets, one connected to the L1 and the other to L2, N and G are in common. I use 4 wire power to my mill and lathe so I do not need to run additional extension cords and power strips. If you are also running power supplies (12/24VDC) they spec. a 15A breaker, I have used smaller breakers in some of my earlier builds and the breaker would partially trip on power-up because of the in-rush current.
I will get a D curve then. Seen those in stock most places. Thanks

I just looked at what I have for both my lathe and my mill, they are both the C curve. For the Lathe, I think it is just going to be the DRO so I shouldn't have a problem there. But for the mill, I plan on X, Y and Z Axis drives and the DRO, how much of a problem is the C curve going to cause? I can always change it later if it starts causing a problem.

Tim

P.S. Automation Direct says they have 84 in stock.

Its not a problem, I normally order the C curve breakers and have not had any issues. A D curve is usually used for motors that have high start-up currents for peroids that would be longer than say power supplies. It is just that they are out of the C curve, so I would go up as opposed to a B curve breaker. Breakers protect the wiring, and prevent over heating, they are designed for up to a 90% load for any extended times.

Oh OK, Got it. I miss understood, I thought Litewings was looking for the D curve to start with. I went back and reread the post. Thanks Mark

Tim

Reading the install manual for the WJ200, I have not yet found an amperage or voltage for the signal lines on the VFD. Is 24AWG large enough for control wires? Estimating 10' at the most. Did find a chart in the manual that shows 18-28 AWG but doesn't say to what length. I need 11 conductors and would like to go to a 15 conductor cable to have some spares. 24AWG comes up available more that other sizes.

Last edited:
What I have for mine is an 8 conductor 22 ga and a 3 conductor 16 ga. There is very little amperage on the control wires so the small gauge wire should work fine. Oh, by the way my 3 conductor is shielded the 8 conductor is non-shielded.

Tim

P.s. I checked in the cargo ship that has the mills on it. It made it through the Panama Canal and is moored at a port on the Pacific side of Panama.

What I have for mine is an 8 conductor 22 ga and a 3 conductor 16 ga. There is very little amperage on the control wires so the small gauge wire should work fine. Oh, by the way my 3 conductor is shielded the 8 conductor is non-shielded.

Tim

P.s. I checked in the cargo ship that has the mills on it. It made it through the Panama Canal and is moored at a port on the Pacific side of Panama.
Thought about two separate cables also and may end up doing that but would prefer not. I'm trying to keep the amount of spider webs to a minimum. I'm not a fan of cords everywhere and I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time tidying up the DRO cords and power feeds.

Thanks for info on the cargo. I'm guessing my machine is probably on the same ship but don't know that. I've not asked for any tracking info.

Last edited:
Control wires I recommend 18-22G, 24G is too small and easily damaged and also needs tiny crimps/ferrules. I run 24VDC power from the VFD cabinet using 18G, as it needs to handle several amps at the machine. I use 20-22AWG 3 conductor for the speed pot and tachometer. If I have several cable I just zip tie them together (excludes the motor cable). Depends on the build and if I am using socket and plugs. Also you need to figure what cables go where. If you want to use a single cable, you can get 15 or 16C shielded cable, I have some if you have difficulty finding it.

FYI signal voltage is 24VDC, each input current is ~8 mA when active.

Back