PM 935TS ordered. Need guidance on VFD components and installation.

I used about 10ft 24g 24 conductor shielded, nicely color coded, it's what i had available in the shop.

Control wires I recommend 18-22G, 24G is too small and easily damaged and also needs tiny crimps/ferrules. I run 24VDC power from the VFD cabinet using 18G, as it needs to handle several amps at the machine. I use 20-22AWG 3 conductor for the speed pot and tachometer. If I have several cable I just zip tie them together (excludes the motor cable). Depends on the build and if I am using socket and plugs. Also you need to figure what cables go where. If you want to use a single cable, you can get 15 or 16C shielded cable, I have some if you have difficulty finding it.

FYI signal voltage is 24VDC, each input current is ~8 mA when active.

I have been attempting to find 20awg in a 15c shielded. I have found a few suppliers but most would sell at 50' minimums or more. My12v power supply will be used for the tach now and spindle halo later. I don't know the current draw of these yet either. My planning so far is the 15c cable between the control box on the head and VFD enclosure. 3 conductor for the back gear switch, 5 conductor for the tach pickup and 12v halo light.
Plan on using connectors at the control box.

Last edited:
Mark, What gauge cable do you use from the VFD to the motor.

Tim

I use 14AWG shielded cable for 2 and 3 Hp motor, typically it is rated at 1000V because it is VFD specific. Not necessarily needed for short runs, just how I do it. Your are only looking at 6-8A for 3 phase, I believe the latest NEC guidelines for wire ratings is a minimum of 125% of the motor FLA output and input is 125% of the VFD FLA, it is not dependent on the motor it is running. The Southwire below is quite good and reasonable, other than the 20' minimum, but a lot less expensive then the LAPP/Belden that use. Problem with much of the wire is the minimum amounts and wastage.
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad..._multi-conductor_cable/vfd_cable/vfdc-14-4b-1

12C 18G Shielded

Thanks for the info Mark, I bought 20' of the 14AWG stuff for the lathe, I will have plenty for the Mill.

A few things still needed to complete the controls and wiring connections. The machine is not here yet so looking on suggestions for the back gear reversing switch. Maybe it doesn't make much difference but has there been a switch that mounts easier or works better for the mounting location?
Some other parts that shouldn't be hard to get but have been giving problems. Quick connectors for the wires into the switch box. I've ordered what i thought was a receptacle for the box and end for the cord. When received they are both male connectors, so back to the search. Any suggestions for a supplier with an easy to figure out listing of connectors that work together?

I really like these proximity devices. I've used a lot of them in industry over the years, no issues whatsoever. in this application, I used double sided tape to perfectly position it, then drilled and tapped the two mounting holes, followed by screws.
Back Gear Sensor 2.jpg
Prox.jpg

Currently wiring up the control box. Going to have a service loop inside the box between switches and connectors that will be about 12" long.
Should the wires/cable inside the box between the speed pot and connector be shielded? I'm using shielded cable between the control box and VFD enclosure.

Back