PM 935TS ordered. Need guidance on VFD components and installation.

The control system design/wiring depends on the VFD used, most of my mill designs are simple and do not use relays. If you want to go with the GS21 they can be ordered, and you can get in the line for the next shipment. The program parameters are schematic specific to the VFD that you use. How the jog will work needs to be checked out with the VFD you choose, but it can be done a number of different ways. I do not recommend a jog joystick on the mill as they are too large and interfere with the other controls. Either use two small buttons on the left side of the front panel or a smaller centering toggle switch. The GS21, WJ200 and E510 have small 24VDC power supplied that can be used for LED indicator lights. Suggested enclosure components list is attached.

Mills in back gear have very high momentum, so 1 second braking w/o and external braking resistor may trigger a buss over-voltage error. Having the option of 1 and 3 second is a simple micro switch and also controlled by the E-Stop/VFD chosen.
I can go with any of the 3 VFD's mentioned. I have the Hitachi WJ200 on my lathe. Are any of these three VFD's a better choice for using the controls I listed? I've seen the posts numerous times from people who used the Hitachi so expect knowledge base to be better on this. Mill is estimated to arrive at PM QMT between 2nd week and end of January. I don't want to be waiting on a backordered VFD. For the momentary forward / reverse switch, I would prefer a toggle, but push buttons would be fine too. Attached pic of GT1340 enclosure.

Attachments

• lathe box.jpg
    lathe box.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
You can use the Hitachi with the schematic designs below. Essentially when you use the JOG F/R you it is the same as the run command with either the JOG input setting the speed or a programmed multi-speed input can be used. When the jog button/switch is released it disconnects the run signal and breaks the momentary stop circuit. It should work, but I have not built this design, although another person has and the basic activation logic appears to work correctly. He will also be using it on a 935 mill. So these are conceptual schematic designs that must be tested and verified by the user, and used at their own risk. These are simple designs that do not use any relays and do not require an external power source for the switches using LED indicator lights. If built you may want to bench test everything first to make sure it works correctly. When I test my designs I use a 24VDC power source to verify the input logic is correct and then test with a VFD if available. These designs are for use with the WJ200 only and 3 wire control with source logic.
Mark

Attachments

• Mill 3 wire control with JOG rev date 23 DEC 2021.pdf
    414.7 KB · Views: 117
You can use the Hitachi with the schematic designs below. Essentially when you use the JOG F/R you it is the same as the run command with either the JOG input setting the speed or a programmed multi-speed input can be used. When the jog button/switch is released it disconnects the run signal and breaks the momentary stop circuit. It should work, but I have not built this design, although another person has and the basic activation logic appears to work correctly. He will also be using it on a 935 mill. So these are conceptual schematic designs that must be tested and verified by the user, and used at their own risk. These are simple designs that do not use any relays and do not require an external power source for the switches using LED indicator lights. If built you may want to bench test everything first to make sure it works correctly. When I test my designs I use a 24VDC power source to verify the input logic is correct and then test with a VFD if available. These designs are for use with the WJ200 only and 3 wire control with source logic.
Mark
Thanks for the diagrams. I proceeded to order the Hitachi WJ200-022SF and have not found one. Out of stock everywhere I tried so far. Ordered online with a couple suppliers that showed them. I got a backordered notice after order was placed so I canceled. Called them and checked backorder status. I've heard 4-14 weeks. 4 weeks is doable but its not guaranteed. Do you have diagrams/schematics for the Teco E510? I'll keep searching for the Hitachi for the moment.

I do not have designs made in that configuration for other VFD manufactures. If you went with another brand of VFD, the simplest would be 2 wire control with it programmed not to start on power up if in a run mode, but it would still restart if you released the E-Stop in a run mode. The Jog for/rev are separate inputs. The inputs for both need to be flipped in back gear. It would take me some time to come up with a 3 wire diagram that would work with programming parameters, and some testing on your end. If you do not use the designated JOG inputs you can use the same diagram with 3 wire control on the most VFD's and the input 4 just sets a pre-set speed frequency. As I mentioned it will take some testing to see what works.

Other option is to look for a Hitachi WJ200-037LF (3 phase input, 5 Hp) and run it on single phase in a derated mode (i.e. 3 Hp), I often do this for drives and also allows them to run off of single or 3 phase. Did you check with PM/QMT, since you are buying the mill from them? The WJ200-022SF I mentioned has been out of stock for months, most recent lathe build I switched to a Yaskawa GA500.

I do not have designs made in that configuration for other VFD manufactures. If you went with another brand of VFD, the simplest would be 2 wire control with it programmed not to start on power up if in a run mode, but it would still restart if you released the E-Stop in a run mode. The Jog for/rev are separate inputs. The inputs for both need to be flipped in back gear. It would take me some time to come up with a 3 wire diagram that would work with programming parameters, and some testing on your end. If you do not use the designated JOG inputs you can use the same diagram with 3 wire control on the most VFD's and the input 4 just sets a pre-set speed frequency. As I mentioned it will take some testing to see what works.

Other option is to look for a Hitachi WJ200-037LF (3 phase input, 5 Hp) and run it on single phase in a derated mode (i.e. 3 Hp), I often do this for drives and also allows them to run off of single or 3 phase. Did you check with PM/QMT, since you are buying the mill from them? The WJ200-022SF I mentioned has been out of stock for months, most recent lathe build I switched to a Yaskawa GA500.
I did not check with PM/QMT. Didn't know they had VFD's for sale. Will call and find out. I found another supplier online that stated they had the WJ200 in stock but did not attempt ordering online after two failures today. Tried calling but it was after hours for them. Will try tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help!

I would not order that WJ200, the "CP" version has no cooling (no heat sink or fan) and they are designed to be mounted to large heat sinks. I know a few people that ordered that one and returned it. They will only work if you mount it to a large chunk of aluminum or a remote cooling system.

I seen those on my search yesterday and backed away after I researched the "CP" designation. Thanks for the lead anyway. I'm on a "call list" when the WJ200-022SF comes in at two different places. They are the ones that said 4 weeks. PM/QMT was closed today. Will call them Monday. Hoping they have a secret stash for their machine buyers.

Hmmm, was not aware of the CP thing when I ordered it, but mine's been working great so far, will keep an eye on it.
Merry Christmas guys!!

Last edited:
I ordered a WJ200-022SF from Precision Matthew when I ordered my 950 the first part of November. I did not verify they actually had in stock but there was no indication that they didn't have it.

Good luck I hope they have one for you.

Tim

Back