PM 935TS ordered. Need guidance on VFD components and installation.

Currently wiring up the control box. Going to have a service loop inside the box between switches and connectors that will be about 12" long.
Should the wires/cable inside the box between the speed pot and connector be shielded? I'm using shielded cable between the control box and VFD enclosure.

I don't think that little bit of a run would be necessary, but I'm not the expert. I'm not planning on shielding mine. I am planning on running shielded 3 conductor wire from the control box to the VFD enclosure, for the speed pot.

Tim

Should the wires/cable inside the box between the speed pot and connector be shielded? I'm using shielded cable between the control box and VFD enclosure.
No. Shield should be grounded only at VFD or star/buss ground in enclosure

No. Shield should be grounded only at VFD or star/buss ground in enclosure
Okay. Much easier to to make the service loop with 3 individual wires than the cable. I was contemplating running the drain wire of the shielding from the pot through the control box connector and ground it at the VFD only, but don't know if that does any good at all. Just for my education, what is being to shielded from what?

Last edited:
Electrical noise can be induced into the wires, this causes false signaling to the controls. The risk is very low, in the speed pot input I have measured it and seen it as more flickering of the Hz display. Depending on the VFD there is some degree of noise filtering which can decrease the error/prevent it but depends on the level of noise induced in the wire and the sensitivity of the input/function being operated on. Short runs unshielded is not going to cause any issues, but depending on the type of electrical noise induced, there are different grounding schemas. Grounding and electrical noise is more complex and just not a simple solution, sometimes takes trial and error to find out what works best or to see that there is an issue. VFD's create a lot of RFI/EMI and this can be radiated like an antenna and also transmitted back through the input power.

One friend when he operated his lathe VFD, his wireless operated vacuum blast gates would turn on, another person tied the low level inputs with the motor cable had false signaling because the induced voltage into the signal wires. Phantom voltages are often a big problem with newer voltmeters, when measuring circuits where wires run in close proximity to other circuits, you shut one down and you will still measure an induced voltage from the other circuit, similar to how a transformer works. Typically the current is very low, in the old days they would use a light bulb to make sure the circuit wasn't hot, newer voltmeters have a LowZ setting which adds a lower resistance across the line when measuring the voltage. I also had a similar problem with an erratic tachometer when the VFD was running, grounding the shield wire at either or both ends made it worse. I floated the shield at both ends and it went away, noise can also got in through the DC power supply. There are different types of electrical filters and grounding techniques that can be used.

.....and when that interference is intermittent, you're really pulling your hair out. Right now I've got a PLC controlled nuclear bunker door (Cancer Treatment Linac Bunker) that has an intermittent issue, happens once in a blue moon, and it is driving us friggin CRAZY!
:devil:

Hitachi VFD ordered. Should be here 4-5 days. Thanks for the tip!
Who did you order your VFD from. I am looking to get one also for my lathe coming.

Last edited:
When I ordered my mill from Precision Matthews I also ordered the VFD.

Ordered the 935TS with a 3 phase motor and need to get things ordered for the VFD installation. AC electrical is a definite weak point of mine so help is needed. I did the VFD install on my PM-1340GT a couple years ago with help from this forum and especially Mark Jacobs. That project went well and has been working with no problems. For the mill, Mark has already suggested in another thread the Teco L510 or E510 or Automation Direct GS20/21 series. I don't know differences between these. I'm guessing at this point I need to decide what controls I want/need. I have decided to go with braking and will need the external resistor for this. Is it two stage braking as it is on the lathe or just a single stage? Speed control on my lathe is a 270 degree input and I use about a third of its travel. Have read it other threads a three turn control on mills? Seems excessive. Am I missing something? Jog function needed? I do use it frequently on the lathe. A spindle tach would be great also but would probably add it later so what needs to be considered now for that? I will be installing two power feeds and three axis DRO now and possibly the third power feed later . Really like how Cletus built VFD and AC outlets into the base of the machine. Lots of questions. First mill and second VFD installation. Suggestions and guidance appreciated.
IF I were buying a brand new machine I would want feedback from the OEM on their recommendation.

Back