New (Used) Enerpac Press (Help!- needs work)

I'm getting to the party late but I wonder if all the proposed work on this press will actually give you anything but a clean sow's ear.

According to the information it needs at least a new cylinder and gauge. $$$

When you're done you will have a small shop press with an extremely limited work envelope. For about the same money you could acquire a brand new 10-ton H-Press from Freight Harbor with plenty of room for most any pressing project.

Just my $.02

Stu

As for bleeding the system your lines if their correct should have a checkball on both sides and screw together. When you connect the balls are forced open and when disconnected they shut. You would loose maybe a drop of oil from disconnecting. Yes the system would bleed itself. Press hydro lines have a rating of 10k psi not like a typical hydro line that is rated at 3500. That's why they are double the price.
Those threads are definitely rolled over opposite the force of cylinder. I have a enerpac 12t H press with the same cylinder. I went and measured my threads on the cylinder and the OD of threads measured 2.230 with a 14 tpi count. Just for reference. Not 2.0mm like you show.

Reactions: rwm
I definitely thought about the harbor freight option. I wanted something with a smaller footprint. I only paid 90 bucks for the press. They are listed on eBay for a thousand. Even with a new cylinder at $150 I am okay with it. Assuming I can thread in the new cylinder I think this is going to be a nice setup. If not I might have a sow's ear! (Clean)
And the gauge...well that's my fault and now a sunk cost. Hey, it's cheaper than that last end mill!
Robert

1586307889996.png

Last edited:
And there is nothing stopping me from putting the metric cylinder back on eBay clearly advertised as metric!
R

If you have a local auto engine rebuilding shop give them a call and ask about hot tanking it. It's usually pretty cheap and if you want it checked for cracks they can do that too.
That is a good idea. I will look into it for the next mess!
Robert

I have never derusted anything this large.

1586353276006.png

Robert

If it me (you know, the hack) I would thread the cylinder just above the area that goes into the C-frame. Then I would take (at least) a 3/4" plate and bore/thread it to screw onto the cylinder. Drill 2 holes to match the ears on the C-frame and bolt it together. Turn some thick washers to go under the ears to spread the load to the frame.

Reactions: rwm
I could have definitely figured out a way to sleeve or adapt the metric cylinder. If I had any 2.25" stock available I would have. I think I am going to try to chase the threads on it an put it on eBay. Failing that, I will have a cylinder for the next project!
Robert

Out of the derusting bath. That took off most on the remaining paint but did not do a great job on the rust. I hit it with a light coat of primer to prevent the clean areas from immediately rusting.

1586395788804.png

I really wish I could surface grind that table! I know it is totally unnecessary but it would look great. I may have to resort to sandpaper!
Robert

Back