New (Used) Enerpac Press (Help!- needs work)

no idea, cast iron is pretty ductile though. Just don't do this in the Arctic :)

I may have to look into getting one of those pressure gauges for my 10t Enerpac press, looks like it would be pretty handy to have.

The gauge was only $25 on Amazon. The gauge adapter Tee was more! Keep your eye out on eBay for one rated to 10K PSI that is cheap.
Robert

The frame will flex its cast. A press like that is not designed to be maxing it out all the time. More for assy. work and such. Really shouldn’t need more than 5t for most jobs with the exception of a stubborn rusted something trying to get apart. Just remember that pressure is just waiting for a weak spot presses are kind of dangerous with All the built up energy it has. Be careful!

Reactions: rwm
Probably not an issue but unless you need to certify it why bother trying to max it out. 5 tons is a lot and if you get there often look into something rated higher, I wouldn't want to run a press at much more than 50% anyway for safety reasons.

But, I'm not an engineer....

However, when I was a kid I was walking across a bridge with my engineer father and noticed it flexing when a truck drove over it. I was worried and said so. His answer "if it doesn't bend it will break". I guess that's why bridges (and tools) are made from iron and steel;)

Be safe out there.

Cheers,

John

I really appreciate all the knowledgeable people who read this thread and the comments! Very helpful.
Robert

Just some followup:

I have found this press very useful on several projects now and I really like it. I have come no where close to near needing 10 tons!
I used it to press the socket into this wrench.

1598557552242.png
The socket has serrations and it ain't gonna move! I have about 6 thou interference.
I have also realized it will work great if I need to use a die punch.

Robert

I've been away from this thread since mid April. Didn't get notifications for some reason.
Anyway, caught up today. Your press is looking great. Those end effectors you made look excellent. Eventually you'll end up with a drawer full of different bits to do-what-needs-doing.

I was surprised at the .060" deflection that you reported. I just wouldn't have guessed that much. I'm not suggesting a risk of breakage, however it makes it pretty clear that some sort of spherical joint should be in the load path if a "straight / perpendicular" push is critical. If I ever get one of those C-frames, I think I'll contact Enerpac technical support and ask what the expected deflection is at 10 tons.

Overall, I think you've added a great piece to your shop.

If you want to eliminate deflection,use the two holes in the"ears" for tierods down to a sub plate.....it doesnt take much to completely eliminate the deflection.......I would also suggest the C frame is forged high tensile steel,heat treated,which is why it costs.......I expect the HF cheapie is very likely a cast ductile iron ,which while strong ,to a point ,is no comparison to the Enerpac one....PS I have a 100 ton Rogers puller for dozer sprockets ,and it bends 1 1/2" thick mild steel adaptors ,yet the 1"UNC Cat brand bolts hold ,and unthread with fingers after a pull.

@john.k

I think you're correct on all counts. I wonder if the ears on the top line up with the forward mounting slots in base.

Back