New to me Colchester Chipmaster

Hi guys,

Just back from London, hence the delay..

Re. gears for the Chipmaster, I see from the manual that even the gears in the standard config for the inch version allows some metric threads. As I understand, there are extra gears allowing a further number of threads to be cut.. Are they the same as available from rdgtools in the UK?
http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Gears_for_Colchester_Bantam_Chipmaster_Lathe_.html

Thanks for the hints on where to source oils!

Also, thanks for the invitation.. don't be surprised if I turn up in Hvittingfoss!

Kind rgds
Jan Sverre

Hi again guys,

I have asked RDG Tools about the information on their webpage for change gears for the Chipmaster. Response as follows:

hi there

very sorry we don't do any 6 spline gears and there are two different models of the chipmaster one is 6 spline and the other is 8 spline i dont think he is going to develop any sorry you would have to hunt down second hand gears i think as nobody does them.

regards chris
The _WWW.RDGTOOLS.CO.UK_ (http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/)

I have received the oil today! I will start to organize the O rings and seals needed to stop the leaks. I want to be able to add oil and not have to keep topping up and mopping oil off the floor. I was planning on taking photos of the process of changing seals. I figure most Chipmaster owners will have the same problems.

Have any of you guys made replacements for the way wipers? I was going to order some neoprene sheet and make a pattern to start producing them. I heard Colchester sells a set for $370 USD :nuts:

Paul.

The leaks are around the clutch shaft itself. There is usually a drop of oil at any one time on the bottom of the clutch and there is a pool of oil in the bottom of the hinged cover.

I think the solution is to take the clutch shaft out, and replace the O rings. I think I will replace all the seals and O rings if I am going to do the clutch. I am suspecting that there is also a leak from the back of the spindle. I have considered just leaving it as is but it will bug me if I know it's leaking oil. I may as well give it an overhaul and get everything fixed properly.

Paul.

Ah OK. I have noticed that there is a grease nipple above the clutch shaft that is designed to form a barrier to stop the oil leaking out. I will try adding more grease first before I take the clutch apart. I will also be removing the headstock completely if I overhaul the clutch and spindle seals. It's a heck of a lot easier doing this on a clean desk than on the lathe.

Paul.

I have finally sorted out the electrics of my lathe and it seems to be running well. I have changed the voltage successfully from 400 volts to 230 volts. I went through the speed range on the variator and it works very well. It is smooth and makes little to no noise :))

The next step will be fixing the oil leak from the clutch shaft. I will try to follow this process with pictures and specifications of the o rings and seals used so others can use this as a guide. It seems these leaks are a common issue with Chippies.

Paul.

Back