New to me Colchester Chipmaster

Are you replacing the variator because it's noisy or because you want the VFD to take that role? My variator is still good so I have not thought to replace it with a VFD (yet).

I have been looking at the lathe trying to figure out why it's a continental with old serial numbers. I am wondering if it was crated for years and then changed over to metric before being moved out of the factory. I mean even the motor has a plate that says it's year of manufacture is 1964. Unless the information of lathes.co.uk is incorrect I can't really understand how this has occured.

As for the tool post, you can buy the non-original holders here:

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Quickchange_Toolpost__Separate_Tool_Holders_.html

If you see how much an original set is going for:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dickson-S...569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53eff6c941

I would try hold on to it if I were you and just get Chinese made holders. They are quite cheap and from what I understand are decent enough to do the job.

Now reading your story of how you got the Primus, I thought I was the only one silly enough to drive 18 hours for a lathe :nuts: I guess if you don't have a lot of money, you need to go the extra distance to get a good deal. Getting my Chippie took 2 days of solid driving. 1300 km that took my 18 hours due to the heavy load on the trailer and weather conditions.

Paul.

Ah, now oils is a hot topic for me with a Colchester Chipmaster. when changing oil on a Chipmaster, the oils have changed over time to the following:

Shell Tellius 15 is now Shell Morlina 10

Shell Tellius 33 is now Shell Tellius 68

Shell Vitrea 21 changed to Shell Vitrea 22 or Shell Process Oil P835

I have asked Tess to look into this and they said that they can source the oil from Shell. Check these guys:

http://www.tess.eu/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=1&Itemid=7&lang=en

They are located in Denmark and if you tell them the new names for the oil, they should be able to either order it for you, or find one of their distributers.

So you have a copy for yourself, I have attached the pdf for all the shell oils needed for the Colchester Chipmaster and their new designations.

Paul.

Oh, and I am super jealous of your mill. I have a mill that is very rare, but not as pedigree as yours.

Attachments

• shell oil cross reference.pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 17
I was originally looking at getting a deckel FP1 as well, or an Aciera F3 which is a very similar machine. All the examples I found here in Norway were too worn to hold decent tolerances. Now.... am I getting the hint that you are interested in "moving on" from your Deckel? I am not sure that I have the ability to help you with that but I would still be interested. I managed to get my mill for a good price, and given it's quality, I am sure could be sold for a decent sum to put towards another machine.... if one happened to catch my eye.

My mill is very different in design from a Deckel and more closely resembles a jig-borer:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/mattsson&zetterlund/

The advantage of staying with the mill I have is that it's work envelope is perfectly matched with the Chipmaster's. Both machines are around 550 kg, of the same quality, and, have simillar capacities. Add to that it's small footprint and I have a machine that easily tucks away in a corner, can be used as a mill and heavy duty drill press, and is very accurate but still easy to move about. I am guessing these are the reasons why you wanted the FP1.

As for the variator in the Chippie... I am trying to keep the machine as original as possible. Variators are still in use in industrial machines so there are advantages to using them. You just need to know their quirks and how to use them in order to reduce wear. I will be draining mine and rinsing it with kerosene and then filling with clean oil to ensure it's all ok. When I heard my lathe run the variator was quiet through the different speed ranges so I hope I got a good one.

Paul.

I have finally gotten to a stage where I think I have all the machines I need. Although I would love a Deckel or Aciera, the Jungner is ok as a mill and will only ever be doing light work. I wanted to keep the limit at about 1/2 a ton in order to move the machines about easily. I am not certain how long we will be living in Norway so I have always bought my machines with the view that they need to be compact in order to transport them. I figured with my high lift pallet truck, I could load the machines myself into the shipping container if we ever move.

My next purchase will be a decent sharpener so I can sharpen end mills myself. I had a chance to get a nice one identical to yours but it fell through. At this point though I would be happy to get the oil I need for the Chipmaster. I may have to order from the UK as I am having problems with TESS here in Norway. The terrible service in Norway is beyond belief. I have been to several stores and rang many more and the answer has always been the same, "we can't be bothered to help you for such small amounts of oil... try someone else".

Paul.

Ha!! I actually am in that position since my neighbour works in a prototyping lab where they throw out their end mills and cutting tools after each use. He and I have an arrangement.

The reason I have been looking at a sharpener is so if I end up moving I can resharpen my own tools. I need to draw the line as the space in my garage is quickly running out and I am starting to feel slightly claustraphobic :bitingnails:

I have actually begun thinning out the tools I have and only keeping those I know I will have an immediate use for. The problem is that my workshop is both a woodworking and metalworking shop so I have half dedicated to each type of work. I am not quite finished in getting things tidied up. When I am I will post some pictures in order to show my situation.

Paul.

There's no such thing as highjacking this thread :)) It was only a show and tell thread anyway. I was initially looking at an Emco Star combination woodworkers kit. I ended up buying an Inca bandsaw, Inca planer thicknesser and a Lini tablesaw. These take up quite a lot of room but have paid for themselves.

When I was insulating my garage the planks used for the inner walls were of random thickness so they were put through the thicknesser. It left an exceptional finish on the wood and solved the problem I had.

My workshop used to be uninsulated but everything started rusting. My weekends were mainly used for rust control and given how cold it gets here, I couldn't use the machines for fear of breaking gears or belts since it was often -10 to -19 degrees Celcius.

P3191856 [1600x1200].JPGP7052173 - Copy [1024x768].JPG

The insulation and light paint made a huge difference on the light in the workshop. I since added 8 3 phase power points and about 14 single phase power double outletsm plus 8 double flourescent lights to keep it well lit. I have also added a security system since moving my metal work machines as well. It's nearly at a stage where I am happy with it. I just need to tile the floor and get rubber garage door seals to seal it up a little better. With the heater it hovers around 8 - 10 degrees C. With better seals it would mean lest electricity needed and money in my pocket.

Paul.

P3191856 [1600x1200].JPG P7052173 - Copy [1024x768].JPG

Paul

The Chippie was always my dream lathe. Been drooling over it for 30 years now, but never found one available for sale in my area. I went with the Gosan 1440V which is made in Taiwan by the company that makes the newer import Colchesters..

I just nixxed the Dickson QCTP and went with the Dorian V30TC, BXA sized with through coolant, locks so much better IMHO.

Walter

Paul

The Chippie was always my dream lathe. Been drooling over it for 30 years now, but never found one available for sale in my area. I went with the Gosan 1440V which is made in Taiwan by the company that makes the newer import Colchesters..

I just nixxed the Dickson QCTP and went with the Dorian V30TC, BXA sized with through coolant, locks so much better IMHO.

Walter

G'day Walter. I was dreaming of a Weiler Primus or an Emco V13. I didn't ever expect a Chipmaster to fall in to my lap however I have been biding my time and I did work a great deal to get the money needed to buy the little beast. I started with a crashed Emco V10 and sold it on, making a tidy profit. It took a lot of time to get it fixed up but in the end it came up looking good. I have added some picks since they tell the story of how I started on the road to my Chippie. How are you liking Gosan? They look very nice and if made to the specs of Colchesters like the Triumph, then it would have be decent.

P9040786.jpg PC130966 [1600x1200].JPG

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/844-Gosan-1440V-Metal-Lathe?highlight=GOSAN

Paul

Here is the info on the Gosan. I got it new about 3 years ago. I tried once too often to stuff too large a work piece into the Logan 9x28 I had and got frustrated, so I leased this one. It has been a real nice machine, fit and finish is definitely better than Chinese, electrics are good quality and the the lathe came with a VFD and DRO already installed. It has a really good speed range and I find the size is just right, big enough to do the job, but not too large to be bulky. Even doing really small work is good with it. This factory is one of the "better" Taiwanese manufacturer's of lathes and has been making the Colchester brand of lathes for a while now according to the supplier I got the lathe from. Even had some Whitworth threaded bolts mixed in with the metric bolts on it. LOL

It came with the Dickson Holder and I found it to not hold as well as I preferred and the holders were not all that easy to get a hold of. The supplier of the lathe was willing to bring them in for me, but at a price. I went with the Dorian and now I can use the BXA holders, or the Dorian holders if I want the Through Coolant Feature. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/844-Gosan-1440V-Metal-Lathe?highlight=GOSAN

Walter

Hello Walter. I checked out the links and your pictures. That lathe is impressive in it's fit and finish and the long list of features. I mean with one shot lubrication, forced spray lubrication in the headstock, oil bath apron etc... I have not seen many other lathes with such a comprehensive list. Can I ask the price of the model you have....? I was looking at a badly mistreated Colchester Triumph 2000 that was similar to yours but it was priced at close to 4000 USD and needed serious electrical work. Your looks very similar and if they can be had for a reasonable price IF I ever was to upgrade again I would strongly consider a Gosan.

Paul.

Oh, and thanks for putting me onto Footmaster Castors. I will be getting a set for my lathe and mill :))

Paul.

Back