New to me Colchester Chipmaster

samthedog

Token Aussie
Registered
My previous Lathe was an Emco Maximat V10 and although a very good lathe, was a little worn and too small compared to my mill. I wanted the lathe and mill to compliment each other and be of similar size and weight in order to have them produce similar quality results (all dependent on the operator of course). This lathe is a huge step up as it weighs 4 - 5 times more than the Maximat and has a clutch, mechanical variable speed drive, spindle brake, powered cross feed and camlock chucks. Add to this it's rigidity and it's in an entirely different league to the little Emco. For those interested there are more details here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/chipmaster/

I saw this lathe advertised in Sweden while on vacation visiting family in Australia. I rang the company and told them I wanted it and assured them I would take it if they held it for me. I periodically rang throughout my holiday to make sure they didn't doubt my intentions to buy the lathe. I arrived home to Norway on a Wednesday and then drove out on the Friday night to Sweden. In total I travelled 1300 km which took 18 hours for the round trip. I was happy to do this since the mechanical condition of the lathe was extremely good. There was no bed wear that I could see and the original precision grinding was still evident on the ways and sliding surfaces. Add to this that it came with a host of accessories, including a full set of change gears and it turned out to be a bargain despite the required travel time and distance.

At this point I am in the process of converting the electrical from 400 volt 3 phase to 230 volt 3 phase. This requires changing the motor to Delta config and replacing the magnetic switch since the no voltage safety and overload protection are not suited for the lower voltage and higher amperage. I have attached some pictures since this machine is hard to find outside of Europe and the UK I figured you may enjoy some photos.

Paul.

PB202692 [1600x1200] [1600x1200] [1024x768].JPG PB202693 [1024x768].JPG PB202694 [1024x768].JPG PB202697 [1024x768].JPG PB202698 [1024x768].JPG PB202699 [1024x768].JPG

Last edited:
Wow, she's in great shape.

Have never seen a Colchester lathe, that wasn't a fantastic machine to set up and run.:man:

Nice machine, especially if you're a SouthPaw. They're good, heavy, accurate machines. You'll be glad you bought it.

welcome
you have three posts and already i wish i was you.:lmao::lmao::lmao:
that is a nice lathe
steve

I ran one of those many years ago. You will like that lathe. That one is in great shape.

"Billy G" :))

welcome
you have three posts and already i wish i was you.:lmao::lmao::lmao:
that is a nice lathe
steve

Thanks Steve. I am not there yet. I need to get the electrical working before I can set it up properly.

Since moving to Norway I have been lucky with the number of beautiful European and English machines I have come across.

Having just re-read my initial post I am horrified at the number of spelling mistakes :banghead:

Don't you hate writing things while tired? Anyway, I am ordering a new magnetic switch for the lathe and then I can get it set up properly. I will then have to source a coolant pump and the correct oils for the headstock, variator and clutch. I assurd my wife when I bought it that I wouldn't have to spend any more money on tools... :shush:

Paul.

I assurd my wife when I bought it that I wouldn't have to spend any more money on tools... :shush:

Paul.

Well you probably won't "have to" any more than she'd have to have another pair of shoes or sparkly baubble.

Steve

Nice, Clean and high RPM, what more could you want, very versatile machine. Congrat's:))

Hello rcflier. Congratulations on your lathe. I am quite happy to scan my manual and send you a copy. I will even go one further and take photos of the change gears and the carriage stop so you can either make or source something that can be modified to suit your needs (if you want them).

I had trouble working out what had happened with my machine since it has the newer variator, matrix clutch and motor mount. However, the number is G3444, which means it was produced in 1965. This again does not make sense since the continental gearboxes were meant to be on the newer lathes, and that the older models didn't have induction hardened beds. Also, it has the old style clutch lever. It is a mystery but it is in good shape so I am pretty happy. I am just waiting for the new magnetic switch to arrive so I can get it going again.

I'd love to see some pictures of your machine now that you have cleaned it.

Paul.

Hello Erik,

I'm not a Norwegian.. Australian actually. I married a Norwegian and have been living here for a while.

Jeg snakke norsk og kan forstå Dansk :drink2:

For the sake of being polite though I stick to English on the forums. The funny thing about my machine is despite having the serial number G3444 on the bed, headstock and all the other castings, it still has the newer drive components. I didn't check to see if I had the metric leadscrew since I figured it was the continental, it MUST have the metric leadscrew (surely?).

I was considering getting a Multifix too, but the Dixon came with 7 holders so I will see how it does. If you decide to get rid of it, I would be interested in any holders you have. I won't have time until the weekend to measure up the stop but once I do I'll pm you the measurements.

Now having looked at your introduction post... How do you rate the Chippie compared to the Weiler? The Primus was my dream lathe until I came across the Chipmaster. I am just curious if I upgraded, downgraded or just took a side-step :))

Paul.

Back