New to me Colchester Chipmaster

$14,500 CDN dollars plus $2060.00 CDN Dollars for the 2 Axis Acu-Rite 200S DRO Factory Installed. Taxes extra and since they were shipping me the B&S #13 Freight prepaid, they added the lathe for no extra shipping charges. The best featuture was that the lathe was in stock for immeadiate shipping. It weighs 1650 Lbs and since I can not get a forklift into my shop, It was still within the weight capacity of my engine hoist.

The company I dealt with basicly deals with Industry. They do not go after the home hobbyist market so all the machines they sell are industrial grade.

My second and third choices at the time were the New SouthBend 14x40 but it was just shy of $20,000 CDN, weighed 3500 lbs and was still vapourware. (Will be out soon, but not sure when) and the Kent USA 14x40 lathe which is a misnomer as it is Taiwan made as well and about the same price and weight as the SB.

I sold the Logan 9x28 as a package for $2500 CDN so that paid for the DRO.

Glad you like the idea of the FootMaster Castors, they are under most of my stuff and will be under more when I can order another batch.

Walter

Well I have an update...

I have found a supplier for the oil. Shell Tellus 15 became Shell Morlina 10, then became Morlina S2 BL (Viscosity 10).

I could not order less than 20 litres so I will be well stocked for quite a few years. This is the ONLY oil that should be used with the Variator according to Kopp who manufacture them. I have also ordered 20 litres of Shell Tellus S22.

This means I will now have a total of 60 litres of oil for the lathe sitting in the workshop. The good thing I guess is that the oils can also be used with my mill so I don't have to order seperate oil for each machine. I now also have the wiring mapped out so I will be changing things over this weekend and the oil should arrive next week. Things are starting to look up :phew:

Paul.

Hello Erik,

When it arrives I will get back to you as to how much it costs with freight. I am not in it to make money so I will find the cheapest alternative and tell you what it actually costs with no extra charges.

Paul.

Hi guys,
My name is Jan Sverre, and I live quite close to the Australian up here in Norway, in Drammen. I have also aquired a Chippie, a metric model. Mind you, not in the same condition as the one from AB Industrimaskiner in Stockholm he bought (yes, I have been there a few times.. and can couch for the "mileage" to get there..), but it's coming along nicely. I have also moved through some different pieces of machinery, and having just departed with my Aciera F3 (round-head) and my Schaublin 102-VM/53, can vouch that the F3 is a very nice machine. So is the Schaublin of course, and though I am happy with my new find (mechanical variable speed up to 3K (I have "always" used VFD's so maybe I "have" to swop, but I will give the Klopp a chance), quick change gearbox, auto cross-feed, hard bed, large through hole etc.), I find they have cut corners abit in production as opposed to the Swiss (the Schaublin had a cast cabinet, swarf bed and a cabinet each side.. thick cast iron), as opposed to the steel plate built up Englishmans foundation. As may be evident from the picture I took in the "barn" it stood (halfway buried in snow and mud) was quite dirty, and somewhat rusty, especially the cabinet. (It was 20 below zero, and my friend depicted had a hard time keeping warm, so loaned my "workshop" jacket.. we just shifted all we could get loose, tailstock, accessories etc, and I came back 2 weeks later for the lathe itself). I cleaned off all the dirt from inside the cabinet, and voila, one of the bed welds just fell off.. Oopps, maybe I now have a chance to get the TIG/MMA/plasma welder from Stahlwerk I soo want (and now need), and use the time needed to complete the weldment.. or should I just pour in some Hammerite seal? Apart from this, it is an exciting (though tiring) period of refurb..

PS! Can I ask where you got hold of the variator oil? From a UK supplier?
PS! I have also evaluated the M&Z (Jungner) VF-600.. I saw one recently in South Sweden, and have also evaluated the one at (our) Stockholm dealer (did you see the Wahl mill there?)

Kind rgds
Jan Sverre
+4792036935View attachment 44844View attachment 44845

Hi Erik,

You're right.. wrong assumption on my part re, metric/inch.. Well, whatever, so the search begins for conversion changewheels.. (again)

I have access to some VFD's, yes. I'd say 2 hp would do, but I'll give the variator a chance anyway.

First I have to repaint the old lady, after the clean-up is done, and possibly re-weld.. it is going to be some weeks.

Cheers
Jan Sverre

Hello Jan Sverre, congratulations on your purchase. I have ordered the oil from these guys:

http://www.gulesider.no/firma/olje-og-energi-senteret-shell-oljesenter:p10000939003

They had the Shell Tellus S22 in stock, but the Shell Morlina S2 BL10 as required by Kopp:

http://www.allspeeds.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/whichoilshouldiuse79.pdf

is still on back order. They will contact me tomorrow about it's availability. They tried to sell me a different oil for the variator that had the same viscosity but I refused as Kopp are very clear in which oil must be used.

As for the Jungner VF600, it seems to be a good machine. It is more of an accurate and heavy drill press since it is quite a simple machine but is well suited to milling. It's simplicity means it is easy to repair bu compared to a Deckel or Aciera, it is very basic. You are more than welcome to stop by and have a look at my machines if you like. I am only 1/2 an hour away. Jeg kan også snakke Norsk, så du trenger ikke å være flau :drink:

MVH,

Paul.

I have a complete set of changewheels for my Chippie :thumbzup:

I have been thinking about speaking to an engineering shop and seeing how much they could reproduce them for. I can see a bit of a market for them. The main challenge is cutting the keyways into the gears. If I had gear stock and a shaper I would make these myself.

Paul.

I also have the problem of missing gears on my Chipmaster Continental so I spent some time in the garage today making some alloy splined bosses. The bosses are twice as thick as a gear, 50mm OD with a 30mm diameter shoulder cut to the same thickness as a gear. I can then buy these http://www.hpcgears.com/newpdf/spurgears_14dp.pdf and bore the centre out, all I need to do is put a few drive pins in and I'm done.

IMGP5774.JPGIMGP5789.JPG

IMGP5774.JPG IMGP5789.JPG

Erik, the extra gears opens up your options. I was very lucky to have a full set included but to my understanding they are very difficult to find. This would explain why Citizen Kane made those excellent boss sets (good work BTW!!). There are a large number of Chippies out there with owners who would love a set of wheels, wether for the collection factor or to use. It would be a nice little money spinner I'm sure.

Paul.

PS. I am still waiting on the oil. In typical Norwegian service-midedness, I have been promised that my order has been placed and then had all manner of delays for all manner of reasons. Now I am told it was actually never sent to the supplier in the first place... *sigh*

Paul.

Back