New to me 1929 wide (heavy?) 9" long bed and overhead silent drive casting trade

That looks awesome! I often wish I could have done a lot of these modifications you are doing, but have since started assembling a heavy 10 that has all of those components already.

joe

thanks Joe! It's slow going but easier to do this stuff now than later :)

big milestone today, well it certainly feels like it after reassembling the compound countless times - the carriage is finished! Got a bunch of stuff done.

- compound screw was all seized together. Had to drill out the taper pin AND the set screw in the dial, then press the screw out of the housing. Bleh. Ground a flat on the end of the screw and used a set screw to secure the handle to the screw, plus made a brass thumb screw for the dial.
IMG_9913.JPG

- checked the gibs. Cross slide was bent and twisted. I very carefully bent it back to straight using a jig, then filed/ sanded it until it was more or less flat. This is what it looked like after bending it straight but before I finished filing it.
IMG_9908.JPG
Compound gib was flat but bent down at the end like a hockey stick. No way I could bend that back so I ground the edge flat with the rest, then filed down the high spots.

- Added a ball oiler to oil the cross slide ways on both sides. They're a pain to oil, so figured this would make it easier and more effective. 5/32 hole drilled through the cross slide from the tail stock side, then drilled out for the oiler. Holes were then drilled from the bottom to connect the oiler to the dovetail ways.
IMG_9912.JPG
hmm, really should have done it from the other side! Oh well.
IMG_9909.JPG

- drilled the cross slide nut bolt all the way through and pushed in a ball oiler. Glad I bought a pack of 20 now!
IMG_9911.JPG

- drilled and pressed in a ball oiler for the compound. Filed holes in the side of the oiler so some of the oil would dribble out the side and run down to the dovetail ways. The rest will oil the screw/ nut.

All done!
IMG_9910.JPG

just realised that the carriage isn't finished as I need to make way wipers (previous owner threw them away because they were "nasty") but that'll have to wait until I've done the tail stock extension. Bit anxious about that..

Still putting off the tailstock work, so finished the headstock instead :)

Got the back gear out, cleaned out the 2 ball oilers and the gears
IMG_9926.JPG

took the tumbler reverse apart, cleaned everything up and replaced the felts. Had to use a puller to get the stud gear off, so I could undo these two screws and remove the whole assembly.
IMG_9924.JPG

Got rid of paint from where paint should not be as well
IMG_9925.JPG

Pressed the spindle apart, put the spindle pulley in the spooge tank and gave everything a good clean. Very little scoring on the spindle and no obvious marks on the bearings, which is awesome. Super happy about that.
IMG_9927.JPG

Ain't she pretty?
IMG_9929.JPG

yeah, can't wait to get it up and running, this is going to be a huge step up from my Atlas. I too wonder where this has been and what it has been used for over the years. It's turned a bunch of copper, going by the chips buried in nooks and crannies, and the ways/ carriage are heavily worn, but most of the gears, the bearings and the apron seem almost new.

It'll certainly get used alot in my shop. Once it's all set up, one of the first projects will be a 6" wide riser block for my Grizzly mill. That'll be a whole lot easier on this than on my 6" Atlast!

thanks Mike, it's been an adventure! Currently figuring out how to put the gear box back together. It's a real bear and I think I might have to take it apart again. Bleh. Be glad not to have to do that again :)

Back