New shop space!

I also hope to have a shop built in the spring. I face lots of issues with the city planning and the homeowners association. According to the city I can have a maximum of 924 Sq. Ft. (28x33') with a maximum roof ht. of 16'. No insulation, plumbing, heating or air conditioning is permitted. Appearance must match the house. It will be 2x4 framed with plastic siding. 16 x 9' OHD on street side and 9x9 OHD on back wall. Front & back walk in doors. Some high windows on the south face to provide some solar heat & light. 5" slab with #3 bar @2'oc. I want underground conduit from the house main panel and 150A sub panel in the garage. No idea of cost yet.

Big day on the new shop plan.
Got the drawings for the development permit.
The 'workshop' is the woodshop and the 'vehicles' is the metal shop. 9'6" ceiling height on the ground floor.
View attachment 474034
Glad you clarified: I was wondering which more than one vehicles you were going to fit in a 15’-6” x 11’-6” space.

Amazingly we sized it to fit two Smart cars :)
That explains it; saw a lot of them in Italy, very few here in the U.S. While they are great for maneuvering in narrow streets and easy to park, I'd never survive driving one on U.S. highways.

I thought I best update this.
We submitted our drawings on Feb 14th.
After a bunch of back and forth, the municipality basically said that we can only build the carriage house if we get a variance. Which is a 6 to 12 month wait, sometime off in the future process. And no guarantee that it would be granted.
So we are scuttling the idea. :(

After a bunch of back and forth, the municipality basically said that we can only build the carriage house if we get a variance. Which is a 6 to 12 month wait, sometime off in the future process. And no guarantee that it would be granted.
Excessive government! I'm just starting the process. The codes have been changed since I bought the property. Insulation is now prohibited. Not a big deal, it only got down to -20°F a couple of months ago!

Excessive government! I'm just starting the process. The codes have been changed since I bought the property. Insulation is now prohibited. Not a big deal, it only got down to -20°F a couple of months ago!
What do you mean "Insulation is now prohibited"?
As you you can't insulate or a certain kind of insulation is prohibited?

Can't insulate.... ! Can't have heating or A/C. Can't have any plumbing.

I thought I best update this.
We submitted our drawings on Feb 14th.

I'm wondering why you are scuttling, rather than proceeding through the red tape. Do you have a plan B to expand your shop space or ???
I guess my question is, where will you be in 6 to 12 months, regarding "new shop space", if you scuttle now?

Back