New shop space!

We will likely do a heat pump setup.
I want the ability to drill into the floor to mount things like my bender.
I was thinking of minimum of 5” slab.

Big day on the new shop plan.
Got the drawings for the development permit.
The 'workshop' is the woodshop and the 'vehicles' is the metal shop. 9'6" ceiling height on the ground floor.
IMG_0899.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg
IMG_0896.jpeg
IMG_0895.jpeg
IMG_0894.jpeg

Sweet!!
Congratulations. That will be a nice looking building.

Is the "vehicles" space being interpreted as a garage or no? I realize it couldn't be used for a car (too shallow). But in our area: if the use is labeled as a garage, then it must have floors that slope to the roll-up door. If its shop space: I would want a flat & level floor.

BC certainly could be different regs but figured I'd mention it. Dead flat & level floors for a shop.

Is the "vehicles" space being interpreted as a garage or no? I realize it couldn't be used for a car (too shallow). But in our area: if the use is labeled as a garage, then it must have floors that slope to the roll-up door. If its shop space: I would want a flat & level floor.

BC certainly could be different regs but figured I'd mention it. Dead flat & level floors for a shop.
Strictly speaking we don't have to have a garage but we are calling it a garage for a Smartcar so that we don't get hassled about having an 750 sq ft workshop under the upper floor living area:)
We haven't talked about details like the floor yet as we are at development permit stage which if approved will let us go to the building permit stage. At that point we will iron out the building details.

Cool. Yeah - just don't want to get caught later if inspector fails due to requiring slope just based on what the room is called. :)

I'm sensitive to sloped floors. The clown who did our house (prior to us owning it) put not only a ridiculously high slope, but also swales? along all 3 sides. Stuff will roll out of the garage on its own and it takes a lot of shims to level equipment. I can't begin to explain how annoying it is.

Best of luck with the process & the new shop!

Cool. Yeah - just don't want to get caught later if inspector fails due to requiring slope just based on what the room is called. :)

I'm sensitive to sloped floors. The clown who did our house (prior to us owning it) put not only a ridiculously high slope, but also swales? along all 3 sides. Stuff will roll out of the garage on its own and it takes a lot of shims to level equipment. I can't begin to explain how annoying it is.

Best of luck with the process & the new shop!
I hope to break ground in the spring!

Looking good! The bedroom on upper floor is a nice size too, not some cracker box sized thing… :encourage:

Back