New shop space!

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Well it's going to take a while as we're still in the planning stages but I'm very optimistic.
I currently have a 20' x 20', flat roof garage with no insulation in the ceiling and a scant 95" of head room. I have it stuffed full of woodworking and metal work tools, so much so that there is barely room to work.

Initially we thought about expanding this space by adding ten ft to the length and adding a second floor for a suite. We checked into that but we wouldn't get permits for that because it's a slab foundation and only 2x4 framing on 24" centers and it's too close to the house for a secondary suite
So our plan is to build a bigger garage, maybe 22'-24' x 30' with a suite on the second floor, basically a carriage house. The rental market is insane here so with any luck we should be able to have rent cover much of the cost of building.

It will be a big project but I'm looking forward to the potential of more space.

Best of luck, just remember twice as much and twice as long as you think....
Thanks, I'm definitely steeling myself up for project delays. :rolleyes:
Our builder is well versed in the idiosyncrasies of our municipal planning dept and we are taking all possible steps to ensure a smooth permitting process to get things going on the right foot.

I hope the rental thing works. Living above a machine shop, even a hobby level shop, could be pretty tough to keep renters

I hope the rental thing works. Living above a machine shop, even a hobby level shop, could be pretty tough to keep renters
I'm definitely aware of the noise challenges and will try to mitigate noise transfer as much as possible. I'm looking at various methods of sound isolation. The air compressor will absolutely be outside in an enclosure.
https://publications.gc.ca/collections/Collection/NH18-22-90-246E.pdf

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/Collection/NH18-22-90-247E.pdf

I lived in Sunnyvale CA a few years back and wanted to build a large detached garage to use a shop. Zoning laws effectively made this impossible. However, I found out that CA law requires cities to allow the construction of an ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit), sometimes know as a mother-in-law unit. So I asked the city if I could add a garage next to the ADU and they said there was no rule against it.

So I built a 650 sq ft. one-bedroom ADU (I think that was the max size at the time) and an 800 sq ft. garage. Also, I used SIP (structural insulated panels) constrution with 10 ft. high walls. With SIPs there are no roof trusses. So I had a clear height of about 18 ft in the center and was able to put a second floor in, "just for storage". The ADU ended up being slightly larger than the main house.

I’m in the middle of an extended ADU project now. Hope to finally be out of the ground this week.

I'm definitely aware of the noise challenges and will try to mitigate noise transfer as much as possible. I'm looking at various methods of sound isolation. The air compressor will absolutely be outside in an enclosure.
https://publications.gc.ca/collections/Collection/NH18-22-90-246E.pdf

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/Collection/NH18-22-90-247E.pdf
I'm a contractor, I have a lot of experience building for sound attenuation. I built a radio station with recording studios and a live music performance space. Also a veterinary hospital with living space above and numerous luxury homes where quiet space was desired.
No single approach will be work on its own, you must use multiple techniques to be successful. That being said, I think you can have living space above a shop if you plan and build it well.
A few things to keep in mind:
1. Airtight is sound tight. There must be no cracks or gaps between levels or areas you to keep sonically separate. All must be sealed, polyurethane foam is great for this, silicone or acoustic caulks also work well. Use continuous bead construction adhesive under and on all floor plates and headers and all subfloor should be glued and nailed down.
2. Build with mass. Best is block, brick and concrete but that's very costly. Multiple layers of gypsum board, at least 2, can cut a lot of low frequency noise, especially if it's floating or decoupled from the rest of the structure. EG, A double layer ceiling of ⅝" GB on metal furring channel that is hung on resilient isolation clips. Floors and walls can also be floated.
3. Insulate well. All joist & stud cavities should be filled with mineral wool or high density fiberglass batts. This is going to hep absorb mid and high frequencies.
4. Damping within the noisy space also helps, consider acoustic tile for the ceiling, A band of tiles can also be installed at the top of the walls butting to the ceiling.

Let me know as you get more into the planning stages and I can advise you more specifically.

I'm a contractor, I have a lot of experience building for sound attenuation. I built a radio station with recording studios and a live music performance space. Also a veterinary hospital with living space above and numerous luxury homes where quiet space was desired.
No single approach will be work on its own, you must use multiple techniques to be successful. That being said, I think you can have living space above a shop if you plan and build it well.
A few things to keep in mind:
1. Airtight is sound tight. There must be no cracks or gaps between levels or areas you to keep sonically separate. All must be sealed, polyurethane foam is great for this, silicone or acoustic caulks also work well. Use continuous bead construction adhesive under and on all floor plates and headers and all subfloor should be glued and nailed down.
2. Build with mass. Best is block, brick and concrete but that's very costly. Multiple layers of gypsum board, at least 2, can cut a lot of low frequency noise, especially if it's floating or decoupled from the rest of the structure. EG, A double layer ceiling of ⅝" GB on metal furring channel that is hung on resilient isolation clips. Floors and walls can also be floated.
3. Insulate well. All joist & stud cavities should be filled with mineral wool or high density fiberglass batts. This is going to hep absorb mid and high frequencies.
4. Damping within the noisy space also helps, consider acoustic tile for the ceiling, A band of tiles can also be installed at the top of the walls butting to the ceiling.

Let me know as you get more into the planning stages and I can advise you more specifically.
This is fantastic advice @Eddyde really appreciate it. I'll definitely lean on you as I get get further down the planning stages.

Last edited:
Back