New Project --- "The Catfish Reaper"

Re: New Project

Someone is upset. Looks like this is it for today. I didn't do it -- honest injun". Both uppers are fit now. I will get to profiling tomorrow.

"Billy G"

102_0787 (850 x 565).jpg

The rod profiles are cut in this one. I am going to split it with the vertical Band Saw before I profile the next one. There is only one way to check the fit -- Split it.

"Billy G"

102_0791 (850 x 565).jpg

The fit is correct as seen. The radius now fits perfect with the saw kerf out.

Catfish will tear tackle up. We pay premium for those rods. They last us 1 season. That rod is brand new. That's why the handles are taped. The reel is a different story. Yes catfish will tear them up too. I rebuilt that one ten years ago. I made all new gears from stainless steel.

"Billy G"

102_0792 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0793 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0794 (850 x 565).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

A very good question was just asked via PM. How did I arrive at the radius needed ? It's really quite simple.

Let's say the radius is 1.500 inches. Now we will use .125 for the saw kerf to keep it simple. Divide the kerf, .125 by 2. You get .0625. Subtract that from 1.500 and you get the new radius or 1.4375. That will get you so close you will never see it.

Thank you for asking.

"Billy G"

I love fishing gadgets. Yours brings back memories of my uncle's homemade reinforced holders for gar fishing the bays around Baytown, Tx., in the '50s-'60s. His included a holder for a jug of water. When the gar would take the bait and run, he would lean forward and dial-in the dragbrake, pouring water over the reel during those 300 yard runs. Steam would come outta there...

I love fishing gadgets. Yours brings back memories of my uncle's homemade reinforced holders for gar fishing the bays around Baytown, Tx., in the '50s-'60s. His included a holder for a jug of water. When the gar would take the bait and run, he would lean forward and dial-in the dragbrake, pouring water over the reel during those 300 yard runs. Steam would come outta there...

Stories like this are why I like this place. Good memories are always fun.

OK -- Here you see QC at work. If she does not take it and hide it, it passed. Today is done. Tomorrow the taper, the pivot hole and split them.

"Billy G"

102_0795 (850 x 565).jpg

The first one has its taper. I don't cut tapers like most do, I shave them with a form tool when they are this short. I will document the next one so you can see how easy it is. One day I will have to invest in a bench top "Shadowgraph"

"Billy G"

102_0796 (850 x 565).jpg

Let's start with the tool. It is nothing more than a 3/8 square HSS tool bit . I draw the profile backwards so I can check the angle better. This tool has the end ground wit a 5 degree side rake on both sides. There is no top rake. It is left flat. This one is the one that did the first taper and is ready to do the other. The tool is upside down here checking the angle.

"Billy G"

102_0797 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0798 (850 x 565).jpg

The whole face of the form tool is used only for the first cut. All other cuts are made moving the cross slid to the right 1/8 inch. You know when the depth of the cut is even with the last cut by the little bird chirp. That happens when the whole face hits the part. Any louder and you went tooooooo far. Once the cuts are made it is just a little clean up with 320 paper and the taper is finished. I can do it in less time than it took to type this. Both tapers done. Any questions?

"Billy G"

102_0799 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0800 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0802 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0803 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0804 (850 x 565).jpg

That is very cool! I've never tried that before, going to have to do it.

Back