New Clausing 6913 - Gear box engagement lever fixed!!!!

I wouldn't go with the aluminum ones. They are fairly easy to damage and are intended for use where a steel jaw might damage the work piece. Kinda like why you might use a brass hammer or punch once in a while. And there are no generic replacements for the master jaws for much the same reasons that Chips&More gave.

If it's a Buck, I'm relative sure that the master jaws are made for upper American Standard Tongue & Groove Jaws. And I don't see any reason why you couldn't run it as a 3-jaw.

I didn't keep or record where I saw it but on one of the eBay Shars ads for the upper jaws, well down the screen there was a table of dimensions for American Standard followed by the same thing in metric. The only thing that I didn't see was a chart or drawing showing what the different jaw letter styles were.

I wouldn't go with the aluminum ones. They are fairly easy to damage and are intended for use where a steel jaw might damage the work piece. Kinda like why you might use a brass hammer or punch once in a while. And there are no generic replacements for the master jaws for much the same reasons that Chips&More gave.

Damn. Already bought aluminum at lunch. Maybe I'll make one out of aluminum to see If can actually do it and then if it looks good, make some with steel. Maybe I should price them too. I'm sure if they cost 100.00(just guessing) a piece, I could easily make one in ten hours or so!!! :) Maybe I should just go back to work make some money, and order some, hehe.

One other thing I should have thought of. Jaws for a 6-jaw have sharper tips than required on a 3-jaw. To run the chuck with only 3 jaws, you may have to do some whittling in the lower parts of the upper jaw sides to clear the corners of the three unused master jaws.

If they cost you $100 each to make (not including labor), it'll be cheaper to buy them!!

If they cost you $100 each to make (not including labor), it'll be cheaper to buy them!!

Sounds like they may not be too expensive then? Am I reading that right. I'll be honest, I don't even know where to start looking.

My 100.00 statement was more of a dig on myself. I fixed our lock on our sliding glass door with the lathe and mill(just to see if I could do it) and only took me several hours due to lack of some tooling , material, and had to get creative, and a lack of experience etc. I could have bought the whole lock assembly for 60.00 but why do that when I can waste a sunday afternoon and put a few beers away at the same time. Id be a pretty skinny guy if I had to rely on those machines to make a living!!! :)

On eBay, do a search on "American Standard Tongue & Groove Jaws" and variations of that. Do not include the word "chuck" as all that will turn up will be complete chucks. Ignore any ad that isn't for three jaws.

On eBay, do a search on "American Standard Tongue & Groove Jaws" and variations of that. Do not include the word "chuck" as all that will turn up will be complete chucks. Ignore any ad that isn't for three jaws.

I just looked briefly and I think I wasted money on aluminum!!! Oh well. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. If I do still make one and its worthy of letting other people see it, I'll post it.

I knew I should have waited for replies but like usual I get an idea and run with it. I think I need to order a set and also, waste and afternoon making some just to remind me of what wasting time really means!!!:) Even though currently its a lot of fun and I love it!! Thanks again all. Appreciate the help.

CH's first sentence is correct for self-centering (almost all 3-jaw and a few 4-jaw) solid-jaw chucks. But not for at least most 3-jaw with 2-piece jaws. There are apparently two standards, American Standard Tongue & Groove Jaws and something roughly equivalent but made to metric dimensions. The jaw dimensions vary according to the chuck diameter (and 8.25" actual diameter appears to be standard on 8" chucks). So you only need to confirm that you chuck has American Standard Tongue & Groove Jaws and look for those to fit an 8" chuck. For some strange reason, there is no mention of them in Machinery's Handbook. But they appear to come in several nose shapes. Prices are all over the map. But I wouldn't buy the cheapest that I could find.

You never posted a photo of your chuck so I don't know why its minimum diameter for clamping is about 1".

EDIT: If you do buy a set similar to those in your second photo, don't forget to re-center the chuck after you install them.
Sorry, but you miss read my post. I did not say the T&G was a crap shoot.

I would not worry about using aluminum. Many hobby chucks are sold with aluminum jaws. Make them out of aluminum and see how they hold up under your hobby environment. It will get you going and you never know, something else could turn up. Have some fun. If you said you wanted the chuck for production, then a completely different story, I would not have recommended aluminum. NICE 6 JAW!

Back