New Clausing 6913 - Gear box engagement lever fixed!!!!

IMG_20170722_190131956_HDR.jpg
This is progress so far.IMG_20170722_191816610.jpg
The center of the jaws I got with the machine are not round when tightened up. My concern is what I'm trying to do may not work. I can't see it in my head so I'm confused on angles and the center hole. Hope that makes sense. I did make mine with a longer section from the inner bolt to the inner end so I can get a smaller diameter when done. I also know that I will have to shave the bottom side between the inner bolt hole and the actual center as if I don't, it will hit the other three jaws when tightened. Do you have any idea what I need to do to get the three jaws tight and hold smaller pieces? I thank you for any info at all.

The new nose angle needs to be 60 deg. from the jaw's longitudinal center line. Or 30 deg. off of flat. The included angle of the nose would be 120 deg. Twice the 60 deg. included angle of the existing jaws. The existing angle off of the longitudinal center line is 30 deg. So the new noses are going to be much shorter or stubbier than the existing ones.

DH,

As I said in the other thread, I found the photos of the drive end of your machine back on page 2 on April 28th. It looks like the mechanical variable speed is set to around the middle of its range. When you get the tach, set your VFD to 60 CPS (Hz) and measure the spindle RPM. That gives you the spindle RPM when the motor is turning at 1800 RPM. From that, you can calculate the motor RPM necessary to get 300 and 1600 spindle RPM. And all of the intermediate settings.

Woo hoo!!!! Got them done. Only had one problem. Didn't take 10 hours either!!! I know this is probably rather easy for most of you but I'm kinda happy with myself right now and wanted to show it off a little!:) I figure it a thread I started and if I spam it too much some one will tell me to be quiet!:)

If you look in in the first pic on the very bottom right hand hole it looks bigger than the rest, because it is. It was the second 1/2 hole I drilled(with the mill and a cornwell drill bit) What happened is I ran the mill at slow speed and the bit caught(didn't think I was pushing it too hard either) Anyway all I can think is when I lifted up on the handle to remove it the bit became more extended than what I measured and I didn't catch it had moved. Not a huge problem but it was a mistake. The total final OD of the hole is larger than 1/2 inch so I will probably machine a washer to put inside the hole so it catches the face in the bottom better than the bolt head does. Got them installed and they are very snug in the jaws. I was happy with that. I put a piece of round stock in the lathe behind the jaws I made to hold them all tight and bored the centers till the faces were clean. I stuck a 7/16 end mill in it and checked for runout and it was less than .0005. All that coming from a dummy new guy!!!!!! Now I must say this. I did not remove them and reinstall them yet and check runout. It was right after I cut them. I will install them some other day and check again. If its way off I'm just going to lie about it and say its still good! JK. Not in my nature to lie. Anyway thanks for the help. Had a blast doing it.

IMG_20170723_170807352_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170723_170619953_HDR.jpg IMG_20170723_170729356.jpg

IMG_20170723_170748350_HDR.jpg

DH,

Those look very good. Considerably better than my first efforts 37 years ago!

But...I apologize for not mentioning this earlier when I saw that the jaws on your 6-jaw had had the tips bored to something around 1". I guess that I just subconsciously assumed that you knew that that is very uncommon. Normally, the jaw tips on chuck jaws are flat across the ends, so that they can grip any diameter down to some minimum. Drill chuck jaws are the same way. And generally, the larger the chuck, the larger the minimum.

DH,

Those look very good. Considerably better than my first efforts 37 years ago!

But...I apologize for not mentioning this earlier when I saw that the jaws on your 6-jaw had had the tips bored to something around 1". I guess that I just subconsciously assumed that you knew that that is very uncommon. Normally, the jaw tips on chuck jaws are flat across the ends, so that they can grip any diameter down to some minimum. Drill chuck jaws are the same way. And generally, the larger the chuck, the larger the minimum.

Thank you. Don't assume any kind of intelligence with me and machining of any sort. I really am as new as one can get. Been it for all of 8 months now. And as a hobby this 8 months turn out very little "playing around time" I like reading this forum but some of the specs and lingo I'm reading are confusing. I read the other day swarf is basically the shavings from machines. Who's a thought that? Not me. I do appreciate everything from everyone and will keep playing and reading when I can. I don't have any books on this stuff, it's all just what I see in my head and trying to apply it. Thanks again.

I would suggest that you acquire a copy of say a 1960 or later edition of either "How To Run A Lathe" by South Bend or "Manual Of Lathe Operation" by Atlas.

IMG_20170430_195001901.jpg Im looking for a parting tool to fit this qctp. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what this post is. Ive seen people talk about axa and cxa but I dont understand it. How do you determine what it is? Measurements?

IMG_20170906_091407340.jpg
I finally got to go to the guys house that got the mill and the tool box from the previous owner of this lathe. i got a whole box of stuff, boring bars, cutting tools, etc. There wasnt a 3 jaw chuck like he thought but oh well. There is no tool post for these but I did get them too. My hope is if I can go out to the house and look around a little maybe the post is there somewhere. Crossing fingers on that! These are way bigger than the tool post that is currently on the machine so evidently its not a cxa tool post that is installed at the moment.
If i went to look for an aloris cxa tool post, where is the best place to go for that sort of thing?

IMHO The “C” series is too big for the lathe you have. I would get the BXA size. Just my three cents. That holder you have in post #128 looks kinda familiar. I think I have some of the holders for it??? No promises, but let me dig in my piles of stuff and see if I can find them. Or if you find a B series, then that would be your best all around…Dave.

Back