New Clausing 6913 - Gear box engagement lever fixed!!!!

The draw bar has had a collar welded to it also. I looked at an Ebay auction selling one and its not factory which was obvious when I saw the welds. Is the original collar suppose be the key to removing the part in the pic in the last post(can someone tell me what it is called so I can quit calling it the "part in the pic") Collet closer?????? Thank you.

IMG_20170521_190129000.jpg

If by "remove this", you mean the collet adapter, and if your spindle has a threaded nose, you are supposed to have a spindle nose protector screwed onto it before you install the adapter. To remove the adapter, you use a pin spanner on the protector. With most other types of spindle nose, you need to make an aluminum drift that is longer than the spindle plus closer and a slip fit through the draw tube (a draw bar is solid). If your arms aren't long enough to stand with left hand on the head of the drift and right hand on the adapter, make a receiver out of a piece of 2" aluminum round bar. Turn down the left end to just under 1-1/4". Turn the right end down to a diameter to fit in the drill chuck that probably sits in the tailstock most of the time. Mount the receiver in the drill chuck, run the ram out about 3", and slide the tailstock over until all but about 1/4" of the left end of the receiver is inside of the closer adapter. Free the adapter with the drift. Retract the ram and remove the adapter from the receiver.

I assume that you removed the draw tube from the collet closer and that the collar screws onto the left end of the spindle. If that's so, my guess would be that the closer wasn't originally made to fit the 6900 Series. And that someone modified it to fit.

Your missing the nose protector for use with the collet set up . The piece welded on I think was used to make adjusting the collet holding power when closed. When I had my Sheldon lathe I had a knocker to remove the adapter too. Could you use something to catch it plastic bucket would do.

If you have the spindle nose protector part, it screws on first and unscrewing it will push the collet adapter out.
The nose protector looks kind of like a chuck mounting/adapter plate that has been turned down.

Pete,

According to the 6900 Series manual copy that we have, they have a keyed taper-lock spindle nose. Not a threaded one. If the threaded locking collar is made like the one on another make machine that I've seen, it won't push reliably.

Silverbullet,

You could be right, although the threaded collar is awfully short for adjusting the draw tube pull. But the Atlas built lever operated closer that I have that was actually made for the 10" and the much later Royal built one that was actually made for my 12" both have an adjusting nut on the left end of the closer for adjusting the draw tube. The adjustment range is about 3/4" or so. Enough that I can run either 3AT or 3C collets.

IMG_20170524_115821317.jpg All the parts minus the drawbar.IMG_20170524_120131891.jpg The closer installed without the protector. It doesn't go flush to the face of the spindle. Normal?

IMG_20170524_120006772.jpg All parts installed including the drawbar. Bit is just to keep from damaging the collet. The protector will not push the closer out. That's where an aluminum bar comes into play.

Yes, a slight gap is mandatory. Else you wouldn't know whether the closer adapter was fully seated or had been stopped too soon b.

I had concluded from reading the 6900 manual that the chuck retaining collar wouldn't do much pushing.

I'm not sure but I think the collet nose adapter isn't the right one for that model lathe. Pretty sure they make a larger outside diameter collet nose. With the right one the protector will help knock it out in front. Just from what I remember.

Good idea on borrowing collets. I did that and it is a 5c. I ordered a set last week and while I was getting rained on, snowed on, and sunburn on separate days in the mountains it showed up!!! Woohoo!!!! I checked the run out and its at .001. Time to look for a new home for the 3950 and all the accessories I have for it. Can we advertise on here or is that a no-no? I have a lead on the lathe through my brother but haven't talked with him yet so I don't know what he is interested in, if at all any of it.

The aluminum bar works well so i'll stick with that method for now for removal of the collet closer. Now I just need a project for the lathe and mill and I'll be having some fun!!!

Thanks again for all the help to everyone here.

Back