New BS-0 "dropped" before delivery, what would you do?

@Video_man Thanks, the Grizzly diagram is much more readable. The cracked piece that I discovered in my BS-0 is N/A by Grizzly.

Put it back together (if you haven't already) , show ebay the picture of the damaged end showing throught the package and request a refund for 'not as described' with ebay paying for the return shipping and a refund from the seller.

It's all together and in the box. Waiting for seller & eBay response. Good advice.

Seller is asking for a few more photos. "Clearer view of crack" and shipping label. Of course, they just could have zoomed into the picture, but I gave them one less excuse.

They claimed they could send me a replacement piece. I ignored this and requested either a new undamaged unit or a full refund. It would be risky to accept this replacement piece offer, since the part could very well not fit correctly. In any case, I paid for new undamaged equipment, not a fixer upper.

Waiting for the eBay time out period to expire... Going to be a long couple of days...

This is really awful. I have a friend who says I should buy more tooling from China instead of making it myself. He says that he only receives "good" stuff, and something must be wrong with those who have bad results. I guess you just have to work through the system. It's a good thing that this is Ebay and not Banggood or Aliexpress. Supposedly Ebay helps the buyer.

I'm sure it will work out. Guess, it's the risk one takes for buying goods from China. Most of the time it turns out ok. I've bought stuff from Aliexpress without problem, although nothing at this price point. First major incident for me, so statistically speaking, (for all the "stuff" I've purchased,) I'm still way ahead. Buying though a middle man reduces your risk (sometimes) but increases cost.

Even buying through PM doesn't insulate one from issues, although they provide awesome support. I'd never consider directly sourcing a high $$$ item from China. That's why I have a PM25 mill, and LMS mini-lathe. Both vendors have been outstanding and responsive.

We all have a risk point, that is a point we are willing to "gamble" it will turn out ok. For the risk adverse, the purchase costs tend to be much higher. This makes sense if you are running a business - you just need to get stuff done and can't fool around. So you tend to buy from known suppliers with a sustained track record. I buy some stuff from McMaster. Why? Because I know I will get it quickly and it will work. However, I just plain can't afford to purchase everything there, even though it is all top shelf.

As a retired or semi-retired hobbyist costs may matter. No write offs or depreciation for me. So I look around, first at regular suppliers, because sometimes they have deals, and then further afield. I have an imaginary $ level I won't go past for these "further afield" suppliers. This purchase was under the limit. If I can save $150, it's a good thing because I can spend it on stock for projects, or some tooling. Sometimes you get burned - it happens. Doesn't mean I'll stay of eBay, since for the most part, a lot of good deals come up.

Seller is asking for a few more photos. "Clearer view of crack" and shipping label. Of course, they just could have zoomed into the picture, but I gave them one less excuse.

They claimed they could send me a replacement piece. I ignored this and requested either a new undamaged unit or a full refund. It would be risky to accept this replacement piece offer, since the part could very well not fit correctly. In any case, I paid for new undamaged equipment, not a fixer upper.

Waiting for the eBay time out period to expire... Going to be a long couple of days...
The photos you had easily showed damage.

Periodically I have issues with ebay items and they have always taken care of me. Usually I ignore the seller after I have sent them the facts and request a refund from ebay(with shipping label).
I get great deals but also hassles( a buyer sent me a digital mahr height gauge instead of a 24" mitutoyo vernier caliper, he denied it until I sent him and ebay photos of the mahr height gauge), ebay paid for return and seller had to pay to ship the correct item which was pristine and only $76(present retail for mitutoyo 24" caliper is $1200.)

Hang in there and it will turn out. You can also call ebay and talk to a support/arbritage person for more clarity.

The photos you had easily showed damage.

Periodically I have issues with ebay items and they have always taken care of me. Usually I ignore the seller after I have sent them the facts and request a refund from ebay(with shipping label).
I get great deals but also hassles( a buyer sent me a digital mahr height gauge instead of a 24" mitutoyo vernier caliper, he denied it until I sent him and ebay photos of the mahr height gauge), ebay paid for return and seller had to pay to ship the correct item which was pristine and only $76(present retail for mitutoyo 24" caliper is $1200.)

Hang in there and it will turn out. You can also call ebay and talk to a support/arbritage person for more clarity.
That is how I ended up with the cutist 1" screwless vise. It was supposed to be a 2" but they sent the wrong one. Seller was very responsive and immediately shipped the right one. Since the shipping cost to return the little vise was about the value of the little vise they offered me the choice of returning it or keeping it for $10 so I bought it. Someday I'll have a need for a tiny vise and now I have one. :)

Yeah, typical delaying tactic. Maybe the seller makes good, maybe they disappear and leave eBay holding the bag. Either way you are covered, just have to add waiting and frustration to the cost of the tool.

John

Back