New BS-0 "dropped" before delivery, what would you do?

@Aaron_W Agreed. Better packing would help a lot. $125 buys a lot of box. One would hope that before the unit was put in a $125 box, the BS-0 box was checked for visual damage. Guess that is what you are paying for, some quality control.

@Aaron_W Agreed. Better packing would help a lot. $125 buys a lot of box. One would hope that before the unit was put in a $125 box, the BS-0 box was checked for visual damage. Guess that is what you are paying for, some quality control.

I think a lot of the added cost, is exactly that better QC along the whole chain, somebody actually looking at the stuff when received so they aren't buying damaged goods, somebody again looking when they ship so they aren't sending out something that was damaged on their end, some actual care in packing, and somebody who will respond promptly and intelligently to questions / concerns.

I see these 7x14 lathes on Ebay for about $500, even Harbor Freight charges almost $700, so you know they have to be making some cost cuts somewhere.

While you shouldn't have to fix their mistake, part of me is thinking get a good discount like 1/2 off, and make them send you the broken part and a new bearing. There is no guarantee you won't be back here in a few weeks trying to fix some other problem, at least you know what is wrong with this one. Then again maybe you get lucky and get a good one the second time around.

Agreed, probably fine. The sellers did blame the carrier, in some sort of broken english. Of course, if you get the carrier involved they will claim improper packing and try to weasel out of any responsibility. The packaging is adequate if the boxes are kept upright. I'd bet these boxes were also stacked on the side despite the UP arrows on both sides of the box.

Screw head looks more like it hit pavement, you know, the telltale sign of little bits of grit or stone. More concerned about worm gear or shaft impact issues, tapped threads in the shaft, or the impact hit being transferred to the cast housing. No more comment on the rest of the contents, since I haven't even unwrapped it all.

I've received some pretty mangled boxes before, but none that claimed to be precision machinery. Guess I've been lucky.

What I'm hearing so far - inspect and go from there. As a relative beginner, I'm not too sure what to look out for. I've never even used a dividing head, so I don't know quite how one should feel. Smooth and non-binding, anything else?
I just got my bs-1 before christmas...it had a 3 jaw chuck on it and being heavy on the chuck end probably saved the same thing from happening that you had...UPS. is Really bad and told Shars to give fed ex a try.....some of my packages look like they were shipped from Afghanistan for crying out loud!!

Finally, this is nearly over with. Seller will refund. I have a prepaid return shipping label. Return address is in Ohio. Resolution took a full week, which isn't that bad. Really have to be assertive, or this seller will try to take advantage of you.

Not sure I reassembled the BS-0 correctly, to be honest. The spindle brake is slightly out of alignment and the handle doesn't fully screw in to the housing. It tightens, but isn't right. The seller won't care one bit, but I do. It's an easy fix, so I'll fix it. Need to pull the spindle out to get access to the internal spindle clamp screws. Loosen screws slightly. Then insert the spindle backwards through the housing for alignment and then insert the brake screw lever. Align it all so everything is freely moving, then tighten the three internal spindle clamp screw. Remove the spindle from back side and put it in from the front. Although it sounds complicated, it will only take a few minutes. Then put back the the stuff hanging off the front, like divider plates, chucks, etc. Yeah, I don't know why I'm doing it, but I don't want to give anyone an excuse. I'll probably make a small hidden mark somewhere so that I make sure I never get this unit back. Who knows where this thing might go after it is returned? Then I'll put additional sheets of cardboard in the shipping box to reduce load shift and get this unit out of my life.

Now to find another BS-0. At the moment leaning towards the safe bet. No desire for any more drama. I'll still take the next one apart, just because I can, and to improve how it works. Learned a lot on the above practice run. Next one should be the charm, right?

When the Chinese make a product, whether it's a lathe or a dividing head, some of them end up as out-of-spec scrap. But they don't melt that stuff down and start over, they instead send it to a clearing house. That's how you "save money" on eBay or AliExpress. Sure, the pictures look the same!

Finally, this is nearly over with. Seller will refund. I have a prepaid return shipping label. Return address is in Ohio. Resolution took a full week, which isn't that bad. Really have to be assertive, or this seller will try to take advantage of you.

Not sure I reassembled the BS-0 correctly, to be honest. The spindle brake is slightly out of alignment and the handle doesn't fully screw in to the housing. It tightens, but isn't right. The seller won't care one bit, but I do. It's an easy fix, so I'll fix it. Need to pull the spindle out to get access to the internal spindle clamp screws. Loosen screws slightly. Then insert the spindle backwards through the housing for alignment and then insert the brake screw lever. Align it all so everything is freely moving, then tighten the three internal spindle clamp screw. Remove the spindle from back side and put it in from the front. Although it sounds complicated, it will only take a few minutes. Then put back the the stuff hanging off the front, like divider plates, chucks, etc. Yeah, I don't know why I'm doing it, but I don't want to give anyone an excuse. I'll probably make a small hidden mark somewhere so that I make sure I never get this unit back. Who knows where this thing might go after it is returned? Then I'll put additional sheets of cardboard in the shipping box to reduce load shift and get this unit out of my life.

Now to find another BS-0. At the moment leaning towards the safe bet. No desire for any more drama. I'll still take the next one apart, just because I can, and to improve how it works. Learned a lot on the above practice run. Next one should be the charm, right?
Have you considered a brown and sharpe, ellis ,carrol, LW ,yuasa on ebay? Vertex is a more reliable asian manufacturer.

I'd consider about anything. A quick look on the bay for Vertex just now wasn't encouraging price wise. PM has a better deal and their shipping charge is $29.99. I'll check out the others. Thanks for the list!

Finally, eBay has notified me that I am getting a full refund. Certainly took a while. When I see the money back on my CC, I'll go shopping again. Except with a more respected supplier. All in all, I'm still ahead using eBay. There's some buyer protection.

I'm glad this was resolved in your favour.

Ebay and PP have never been fast but they usually (Not always) get it right in the end. Glad they got it right this time.

Back