New BS-0 "dropped" before delivery, what would you do?

If you've already decided it's yours then go ahead and tear it all the way apart and make it better.

But, if you think there may be damage don't waste any time and file your claim right away. Assuming you took pictures before disassembly just send those when asked, the photo of the box says it all, you ordered a precision tool and they sent you, well the picture says it all....

Some of these eBay sellers of Chinese tools just care about getting the sale and nothing else. I say call them on it, their acceptance of your money is a legally binding contract to provide the item advertised in new, un-dammaged condition.

I used to ship racing kart engines all over the world and I made damn sure they were packed to avoid damage. This seller just shipped in the original cardboard & Styrofoam box without any thought to what might happen.

In America our cardboard boxes are strength rated.

I found this out the hard way by reusing an inferior box and having my damage claim refused by the shipping company.

I'm with @mickri here, file a claim now and see what the seller offers in settlement. If they want it back put it back together and into the original packaging with lots of tape and make them send a shipping label.

Just because we are buying budget priced items doesn't mean we have to accept damaged or inferior merchandise, the item you purchased should be able to do the job advertised out of the box without modifications or repairs.

It's called "implied merchantability" and there actually laws that govern it for every item sold.

John

Thanks @Aaron_W That's the video I watched. Machining the washers in Part 2 seemed to make the video drag a bit, but overall it was a pretty good series. Parts 1 and 3 were the best. He made it seem like anyone could do this tear down. It was also good of him to post the Timken bearing that fits. It's a 32007X-90KA1.

I decided the only way to find latent damage was to take it apart. I did find a cracked bearing housing. It's some sort of cast piece. On the parts list it's item P11. Haven't de-greased the bearings to look at them. If it was the bearing, it's just the Timken part. Not sure how to replace this piece. It's about to crack through. Suppose I could braze it, or silver solder. The inside of the BS-0 was filthy. Blind screw holes were packed with grinding grit.
PXL_20210122_212116901.jpg
It was fun taking it apart. Not so sure what to do about this... This was down deep, definitely invisible from the exterior. Classic latent damage.
Bummer.

Put that puppy back together and demand a refund. Then take it apart and repair it!

Agree send them a photo of the crack and see what kind of a deal they will make you.

Put that puppy back together and demand a refund. Then take it apart and repair it!
Once you have taken it apart, it's easy to do it again. And you know what tools to use. Had to make a pin spanner this morning, just to take it apart. The worst part wasn't the disassembly, it was the miserable dirt and grit I had to constantly clean.

Now to figure out what to tell my fine eBay seller... Fortunately, I have already sent the damaged box photos the same day I received it.

Since they told you to inspect for damage. send them the results of your inspection and tell them you want a full refund. Then buy from someone else.
My guess is they will want you to reassemble and ship it back so they can send it off to the next buyer that might not notice it. Also let PP or your credit card know what is going on to preserve your rights. It is not uncommon for sellers to totally drag their feet till the money is about to disappear from their account. There are time limits involved so don't wait.

IF You need to ship it back, You will need to reassemble and I would make sure everything has some grease on it, then pack it back in its original box and packing, I would add a cover over the hole where the shaft came thru and a LOT of tape to hold the box together. It does have to make it there. Take pictures of everything the machine in the box, including the packed box with the return label on it. I would try to insist that they pay for the return shipping. That is often hard to get. Depending on what you paid, sending it back could end up close to a wash by the time you pay for return shipping.

Do not even consider trying to repair it until all other avenues are exhausted and you are stuck with it.

Once you have taken it apart, it's easy to do it again. And you know what tools to use. Had to make a pin spanner this morning, just to take it apart. The worst part wasn't the disassembly, it was the miserable dirt and grit I had to constantly clean.

Now to figure out what to tell my fine eBay seller... Fortunately, I have already sent the damaged box photos the same day I received it.
Tell them you want a new, undamaged unit or a full refund.

I've seen too many folks on here who "want to be fair" to the companies that sell this stuff. Fair is they give you what you paid for and they get to keep your money.

Broken isn't what you paid for.

Take it apart and fix it isn't what you paid for.

Spending hours communicating with someone on the other side of the world who's job is to try and keep your money isn't what you paid for.

Send them a message through eBay (never communicate directly by email because that gets them off the hook). If they don't offer a good solution within 24 hours file a complaint with eBay. In my experience these sellers know how to play a waiting game that ends with you giving up or them only refunding part of your money.

Don't fall for that, repairing that cracked part is a job easily worth what you paid for the whole thing. It doesn't matter if you have the tools or expertise, you didn't pay them to have to fix broken stuff. If they refund your money it's definitely worth trying but even if it's perfect you will always have a repaired tool.

JMHO,

John

Tell them you want a new, undamaged unit or a full refund.

I've seen too many folks on here who "want to be fair" to the companies that sell this stuff. Fair is they give you what you paid for and they get to keep your money.

Broken isn't what you paid for.

Take it apart and fix it isn't what you paid for.

Spending hours communicating with someone on the other side of the world who's job is to try and keep your money isn't what you paid for.

Send them a message through eBay (never communicate directly by email because that gets them off the hook). If they don't offer a good solution within 24 hours file a complaint with eBay. In my experience these sellers know how to play a waiting game that ends with you giving up or them only refunding part of your money.

Don't fall for that, repairing that cracked part is a job easily worth what you paid for the whole thing. It doesn't matter if you have the tools or expertise, you didn't pay them to have to fix broken stuff. If they refund your money it's definitely worth trying but even if it's perfect you will always have a repaired tool.

JMHO,

John
Not falling for anything. I have just given my CC company a heads up on the broken equipment transaction. Next is to deal with the seller via eBay. I never respond direct with a seller. I really don't want to repair it, only would go that route if they didn't want it back (and they refunded me). Really did take it apart to see if something was damaged. And it was. Off to eBay. Last time the seller answered at 4am. This probably means they are in the far east. We'll see. They get 24 hours then comes charge back.

All put together again. Pretty well adjusted, and far smoother than when I got it. Not that the seller will care. Packed in the box with additional cardboard to prevent some shifting. Original styrofoam was undersized for the shipping box allowing additional product movement. Took 10 sheets of cut up corrugated box to fill the gap. Attempted to further immobilize the BS-0, in the box, but if it's dropped, all bets are off. As of the moment, I have not heard back from the seller. It's not Chinese New Years, so time to complain to eBay.

Back