New 9a cross slide stuck

Great! I would drill a hole in the bottom for future removal. Try some heat and more solvent, a drill chuck may help to move the shaft while the bushing is held in a vise
Well, it’s still attached to the saddle. Can only get about a 1/4 turn before the cross slide screw stops. Might be able rig it up in the vice though. That bushing must be close to a press fit on that shaft. It locked on tight.

Did you remove the screw for the oil hole? It stops the bushing from unthreading

I'd still consider welding a bolt to the broken end of the feed screw. You're still going to get that nut away from the rear of the cross slide so you have room to pull the bushing out.

I'd still consider welding a bolt to the broken end of the feed screw. You're still going to get that nut away from the rear of the cross slide so you have room to pull the bushing out.
Sorry, lost me on this one. What do you mean?

no, the screw on the flat part of the crossfeed just above the bushing stamped OIL
Well, that’s a kick in the jewels. My crossfeed won’t move that far so I had no idea that was there. And they is probably what made that bushing so tough. Guessing I sheared that off with my tremendous mechanical advantage. Shoot. Here’s where I stand now. Bushing is out of the crossfeed(which has likely led to needing a new oil screw), but shaft is still stuck in the bushing. Is there a pin in that shaft (see picture)? Feels like progress, but I don’t actually think it is. Perhaps those threads on the bushing were buggered by the oil screw. That’s what happens when a car guy messes with a precision machine I guess. Man, that stinks.

Attachments

• B027129C-9BB0-4F70-BF13-7DAE48810C5E.jpeg
    B027129C-9BB0-4F70-BF13-7DAE48810C5E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 4003FFF1-131D-4DC3-8AB0-6388258C2DFB.jpeg
    4003FFF1-131D-4DC3-8AB0-6388258C2DFB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 3318127E-10E4-4AE3-96C7-90C8A26E699D.jpeg
    3318127E-10E4-4AE3-96C7-90C8A26E699D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 45486D2C-6601-48C5-837B-176D4E71A268.jpeg
    45486D2C-6601-48C5-837B-176D4E71A268.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
You should have paid him $100 less after he broke that handle off! :)

Those threads look ok. the oil screw was likely sheared off before it got to them, in any case you can remake that bushing and oil screw since you have a lathe. You should be able to screw the shaft out of the leadscrew nut now. Soak it in penetrating oil vertically overnight, them try to move the broken shaft. Maybe clamp that shaft in the 3 jaw and twist it, also add some heat with a propane torch.

You should have paid him $100 less after he broke that handle off! :)

Those threads look ok. the oil screw was likely sheared off before it got to them, in any case you can remake that bushing since you have a lathe as well as the oil screw. You should be able to screw the shaft out of the leadscrew nut now. Soak it in penetrating oil vertically overnight, them try to move the broken shaft. Maybe clamp that shaft in the 3 jaw and twist it, also add some heat with a propane torch.
I really appreciate all the help. And no kidding on the price. Really thought it wouldn’t be a big deal. So it won’t unscrew. I assume the gear for the power cross feed won’t feed through the handle end? Or should it slide through?

The gear will pull thru with the entire leadscrew, I just checked mine. Do you mean the leadscrew won't unscrew from the brass nut? It shouldn't be rusted in there. Try twisting it back and forth

Back