New 9a cross slide stuck

FriscoMustang

Registered
Registered
Hey folks, picked up a new to me SB 9 today and it’s in pretty good shape. As I walked in to pick it up, the previous owner was holding the cross slide handle, but it was unfortunately no longer attached to the cross slide screw. He broke it off. Sheared very cleanly at the end of the dial indicator. Found out after I got it home why. He’d apparently been “tapping” it with likely a 5 lb hand sledge to try to get the cross slide to, you know, slide a-cross. It’s stuck like it’s welded.the actual slide will move a fraction, due to backlash in the screw, but the screw won’t turn. Not sure where it’s hung up, and I can’t find how to remove it without unscrewing it. I’ve removed the gib adjuster screws but the gib isn’t sliding out either. I’ve got it soaking in PB blaster and it’s off the saddle. Any help is appreciated. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Handle that sheared

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 42
The screw is probably seized in the cross feed bushing. The bushing screws into the cross slide base (it's got the stationary dial makings on its o.d., R.H. thread).

The screw is probably seized in the cross feed bushing. The bushing screws into the cross slide base (it's got the stationary dial makings on its o.d., R.H. thread).
Thanks. I thought so but don’t see a way to unscrew it. I’ve searched and watched some videos but haven’t had any luck yet. What’s the beat way to unscrew that bushing?

Lucky you still have the handle & nut.
Looks like you will need a cross slide leadscrew.
jawhawkmachine tool sells those, get the nut also.
No affiliation, just a good guy to deal with.

Sometimes a strap wrench will get it. If not, try a bit of heat and lots of penetrant, then the strap wrench again. May take several iterations.

Unscrew the crossfeed nut to protect it from damage (and to eliminate it as the problem). Use the heat and penetrant and a large pair of vice-grips on the shaft to break the shaft free (it needs to be replaced anyway).

As for further disassembly, get the rebuild manual by Ilion Industries (get the one with the felt kit). It will help guide you in your efforts..

Unscrew the crossfeed nut to protect it from damage (and to eliminate it as the problem). Use the heat and penetrant and a large pair of vice-grips on the shaft to break the shaft free (it needs to be replaced anyway).

As for further disassembly, get the rebuild manual by Ilion Industries (get the one with the felt kit). It will help guide you in your efforts..
Ordered the rebuild book. You said “unscrew the crossfeed nut”. What nut are you talking about? The one in the body (brass with a screw through the top) seems to be completely inaccessible. And I can’t get the crossfeed screw to move at all. Thanks.

Lucky you still have the handle & nut.
Looks like you will need a cross slide leadscrew.
jawhawkmachine tool sells those, get the nut also.
No affiliation, just a good guy to deal with.
Looked at jay hawk machine on eBay. Didn’t see a sb9. But I’ll keep looking. Thanks.

Sometimes a strap wrench will get it. If not, try a bit of heat and lots of penetrant, then the strap wrench again. May take several iterations.
It’s on there solid. Letting it soak some more. Thanks.

Back